PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a 1985 Sunsport

SupraMisfit
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Hello all. I just purchased my first Supra boat and I am stoked. 1985 Sunsport in ok condition. This boat needs new stringers and some interior work but Im looking forward to the project. I will post pics and progress along the way. Im sure I will have a lot of questions and people on the forum seem really helpful. I just want to thank everybody ahead of time for all the help Im about to recieve off this forum.

Let the work begin!

mapleleaf
06-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Bring on the Brigade, nice Avatar.....Welcome, it'll be a good project..SS are great boat's.........

Hematoma
06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Bring on the Brigade, nice Avatar.....Welcome, it'll be a good project..SS are great boat's.........

Dammit Maple, I figured I was gonna be the only one to know what his avitar was. Anyways good find and keep us updated.

mapleleaf
06-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Dammit Maple, I figured I was gonna be the only one to know what his avitar was. Anyways good find and keep us updated.

Come on now didn't we all have a bonite Hawk/Caballero at some point???lately I've been riding Black Labels.....recovery time on bailing in the 8' pipe is gett'in longer.....

SupraMisfit
06-12-2010, 11:50 PM
What can I say Im just old school. Although I dont step on to a skateboard to often anymore. Concrete hurts!! But I am looking forward to wake surfing behind my new boat.

Hematoma
06-13-2010, 01:46 AM
What can I say Im just old school. Although I dont step on to a skateboard to often anymore. Concrete hurts!! But I am looking forward to wake surfing behind my new boat.

That's cool, I see you are down in Tucson. I'm up in the Phoenix area. Haha my son keeps wanting me to teach him to Ollie, I showed him on the living room carpet, told him it's been awhile and I wasn't hittin the concrete I'm to old.

ngavchris
06-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Are you sure you bought the boat? I didn't see any pictures. Around here nobody is a believer without them.

SupraMisfit
06-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Are you sure you bought the boat? I didn't see any pictures. Around here nobody is a believer without them.

I have better things to do then join a forum and talk about a boat I dont have. But to satisfy your curiosity here are a couple pics I snapped with my cell phone. When I start tearing in to the boat I will take many pictures.
http://yfrog.com/6d0612101217j
http://yfrog.com/jo0612101400j

Hmm for some reason my pics arent showing up. How do I post pics?

SupraMisfit
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Well here are the links. I must be doing something wrong??
http://yfrog.com/jo0612101400j
http://yfrog.com/2r0612101217j

ScottnAz
06-13-2010, 04:51 PM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg708/scaled.php?tn=0&server=708&filename=0612101400.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg99/scaled.php?tn=0&server=99&filename=0612101217.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Nice looking boat. Can't wait to see this project.
What part of Tucson? N,S,E,W? I assume Roosevelt will be your lake of choice?

As it's been said, nice Avatar :)
http://www.designdrops.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bones-skateboard-deck.jpg

-right click the picture, and select "copy image location", then on this forum click the "insert image" button on the reply toolbar and past the image location-

SupraMisfit
06-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I live on the north side of Tucson. We usually go to Apache lake because it is so beautiful but Im willing to go to any lake. Just as long as Im on the water. I doubt I will have it ready to catch the end of this season but next year for sure.

mapleleaf
06-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Don't take too much offense to the request for pics.....it's not whether you own it or not, it's about looking at another Supra, which BTW looks great, great gelcoat to work from......

SupraMisfit
06-13-2010, 05:29 PM
I take no offense. I like to see pics also. Thanks for the kind words. Its a good looking boat and I really like the look of older Supras but I have a lot of work ahead of me with this stringer project and it needs interior work as well. The trailer could use some attention also. But I feel I paid a fair price.

Hematoma
06-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I live out in the east valley and have wanted to hit Apache because of the beauty of it. Also heard it's kinda remote?

ScottnAz
06-13-2010, 09:27 PM
It's definitely a nice lake, although it's a little tough to get to. I'd assume Misfit is coming from the north side of the lake? Which is mostly asphalt, I believe?
Coming from the E.V., once you pass Canyon lake, the road turns to dirt, and it's narrow. Pretty much one lane most of the way. Fish Creek Hill.
Last time I towed it (15 years ago), I had to back-up, up-hill, for about a mile, with a boat, to find a wide enough section of dirt to let a 33'+ motorhome pass coming the other direction.

Hematoma
06-13-2010, 09:35 PM
It's definitely a nice lake, although it's a little tough to get to. I'd assume Misfit is coming from the north side of the lake? Which is mostly asphalt, I believe?
Coming from the E.V., once you pass Canyon lake, the road turns to dirt, and it's narrow. Pretty much one lane most of the way. Fish Creek Hill.
Last time I towed it (15 years ago), I had to back-up, up-hill, for about a mile, with a boat, to find a wide enough section of dirt to let a 33'+ motorhome pass coming the other direction.

Yea we road my chopper out past Totilla flats til it turned to dirt it was a long ride. I have heard stories about how narrow it is. You just confirmed my notion that I won't be heading out that way. Eventhough I here it is really nice, I'm not down with the twisting, dusty, single lane cluster f@ck.

dshaff24
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM

lol Yeah I thought the same thing untill I scrolled down and saw you 2, Back in the Day Skateboarding

SupraMisfit
06-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Yeah thats the way we go. It is scketchy and narrow but once you get down there its all worth it. I was amazed the first time I went down there. Ive never towed my own boat that way so I cant say for sure that I would be willing to do it. Id hate to back up that hill with a boat! Yikes!!

ngavchris
06-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Looks good Scott. I was just trying to get you to show us some pictures. Guess it worked. Is that the original color or has that been repainted. Anyway, it looks really nice.

SupraMisfit
06-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Looks good Scott. I was just trying to get you to show us some pictures. Guess it worked. Is that the original color or has that been repainted. Anyway, it looks really nice.

Im not sure of the original color but it is a repaint. I bought it from a woman who really didnt know much about it or boats in general for that matter. Im stoked to own it and cant wait to get it on the water.

Okie Boarder
06-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Looks like it will be a good boat for you. What kind of shape are the stringers? Do you think they are good enough to make it through this season?

SupraMisfit
06-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks like it will be a good boat for you. What kind of shape are the stringers? Do you think they are good enough to make it through this season?

No way I will run the boat in the condition its in. The motor mount areas are in rough shape. A few bolts are missing an I can push my finger in to the stringer where the mounts are. The floor itself feels very solid but Im really curious to see what lies underneath. Im going to start tearing into it soon.

Okie Boarder
06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Be sure to post some pictures and info on your progress.