PDA

View Full Version : Stereo help wanted

ssmith
06-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I have a 650w Kenwood amp that is a 2/3/4 channel and just bought a Kenwood 400w, 2 channel amp off a buddy. I'm wondering how I should set this up?

I have 6 inboat polk db651's, 4 tower polk db651's and a polk db 10" sub.

I was thinking of powering the in boat speakers and the sub off the 650w amp and dedicating the 400w amp to the towers. Would this work ok or is there a better way?

ScottnAz
06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Do you know the model #'s of the 2 amps?
I think it also might depend on what you're hoping to achieve with the system, are you trying to get the towers to 70'+ back, or just want some real clean sound for in the boat and while surfing?

But, at first glance, I'd say you're on the right track with the 650 running the inboats and sub. With the 400 dedicated to the towers.

On another note; after spending some time a couple weeks ago to add a second amp and doing a like re-wiring of my system, I have a new found respect and admiration for guys like JonyB that are constantly climbing around inside the small cubbies of these boats. :) There aren't any comfortable positions while working on these systems.

jonyb
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
You'll need another amp for the sub Scottie. The 2-channel will power the 4 speakers on the tower, but you've only got 4 channels left for 6 speakers. If you tried to parrallel all the boat speakers it would be one ohm, and most amps won't handle that.

Another reason that local dealers can help out. Had you consulted someone first, you may not have bought that amp. Not trying to be a smarta$$, but that's just how it works. People go buy things without a clue whether it'll work or not.

ssmith
06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
The 400w 2-channel amp is the one you took out of Jason's boat. I just figured it was better than what I currently have.

You're right in that I'm clueless. I don't have any understanding of this stuff.

So I should buy a 3 or 4 channel amp and be OK?

I haven't paid Jason yet and I think our other boating buddy would want it.

Thanks for the replies Scott and John.

ssmith
06-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Scott, you changed your avatar. Eye catching!

ScottnAz
06-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Yea, I decided to add an avatar picture. Sunset surfing in Costa Rica last summer.

Up until now, have you been running the entire system (6 inboats, 4 towers, sub) solely off the 650w Kenwood? If so, while it won't be ideal, as Jony pointed out, I don't see how you could go wrong adding more power to your system. Especially if you're getting a good deal on the 400w amp.

jonyb
06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
The 400w 2-channel amp is the one you took out of Jason's boat. I just figured it was better than what I currently have.

You're right in that I'm clueless. I don't have any understanding of this stuff.

So I should buy a 3 or 4 channel amp and be OK?

I haven't paid Jason yet and I think our other boating buddy would want it.

Thanks for the replies Scott and John.

The thing about those Kenwood amps is that they're overrated. I used to sell Kenwood back in the mid-90's and not much has changed since then, except the head units were better back then. They're weak compared to what else is out there.

Don't know what you're budget is, but you could use the 2-channel of jason's to power the tower. Then pick up another amp to power the sub. I used the kenwood Excelon mono amp to power the 4 JL Audio 10's that I had previously, and it was okay. Last time I looked those up they were about $150.

If you wanted to scrap those, a Syn6 could power all the in-boats, and the tower speakers, then maybe I could hook you up with a Digital Designs amp for the sub, those have a pretty good price point.

I wasn't saying that the Kenwood of Jason's wouldn't work, just wanted to say that you'll still need another amp in the boat.

ssmith
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok, I know this isn't the best setup but its def on the cheap. I just picked up another 4 channel amp off Moomba. So, now I have 3 amps if I need them or I can give Jason's back if I don't.

Here's what I have...

Kenwood KAC-8402 ( 720w, 4 channels)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4346_Kenwood+KAC-8402.html (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4346_Kenwood+KAC-8402.html)

Kenwood KAC-6202 (400w, 2 channels)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gEMe2XQklis/p_113KAC6202/Kenwood-KAC-6202.html (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gEMe2XQklis/p_113KAC6202/Kenwood-KAC-6202.html)

And Whatever I have in my boat. I know its a Kenwood 640w, 4 channel amp. I'm pretty sure its this one..

Kenwood KAC-8401 (640w, 4 channels)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-E30EaC5fJIc/p_113KAC8401/Kenwood-KAC-8401.html (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-E30EaC5fJIc/p_113KAC8401/Kenwood-KAC-8401.html)

So, can I just do with the 2 bigger amps or do I still need the 3rd and how would you configure this? The specs do show the 720w amp to be stable at 1 ohm but I really don't know crap about that. LOL!

jonyb
06-14-2010, 03:03 PM
You just had to put a link to sonicarabiantronics did'nt you?

Use 1 4-channel to power the in-boats, the other 4-channel to power the tower speakers, and the 2-channel to power the sub.

I just hope you haven't put so much money into buying blindly that you're happy with what you've got. It doesn't make much sense just to buy something not knowing if it's gonna work or not.

ssmith
06-14-2010, 04:16 PM
I just hope you haven't put so much money into buying blindly that you're happy with what you've got. It doesn't make much sense just to buy something not knowing if it's gonna work or not.

Nahhh, I have like $90 invested.

This will hopefully patch me up until I can get what I want.

jclevoy
06-14-2010, 11:59 PM

$90 invested??!! You told me you were buying that AWESOME kenwood amp for $150.............

jonyb
06-15-2010, 10:20 AM

$90 invested??!! You told me you were buying that AWESOME kenwood amp for $150.............

haha, busted!

ssmith
06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
haha, busted!
Not really :p. Jason was just hoping his Kencrap was worth alot more :rolleyes:
I'm planning on $50 for Jason's amp and I paid $40 for the other amp, so $90.

mapleleaf
06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Here we go with the thread Jack....
4 in boats ( should be replaced, lack of$$$) soon to be 6, no amp to them now....
10" offshore sub running off some beat old amp ( all man.'s labelling worn off) maybe 600W 2 channel...
I guess I need an amp for the inboat's and then a splitter for the stereo remote wire???Don't know much about this....so far I got $40 in, hand me downs that make the boat have sound it didn't when I bought it....
Jony'll be shaking his head at this one!!!