PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Selection

gizmoe
07-10-2004, 07:45 AM
I just bought a nice used 94 Supra TS6M with the PCM transmission. The owner's manual states that 20-20w SG rated oil should be used in that tranny. Discount Inboard Marine says that Dexon III transmission fluid is now recommended for all PCM transmissions. I have been unsuccessful at finding straight 20 weight oil and am tempted to go with DIM's recommendation. What does everyone else use???

Thanks!

gizmoe
11-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Since the tranny already had 20w-20 oil in it I really didn't want to change over to the Dexron III. I finally managed to find the 20w-20 oil at Tractor Supply Co. Apparently that oil is still used by some old tractors. It was just $11 for a 2 gal jug! That should last me for about 8 years!

Mike
11-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Have a 89 Comp and found the same problem. I think I've read that if switching to Dextron III you need to get all the old fluid out. I've changed the fluid twice now and can't say that I've gotten it all out. The advice (DIM) I've gotten is to suck it out through the dipstick opening. The dipstick opening is large enough at the start but there is a plate part way down with a small hole in it. The end result is a small diameter piece of tubing to fit through that to suck out the oil (one of those drill pumps). Anyway, I get as much as I can then top it back up. Like you I did manage to find a straight 20 W oil that I've been using (as was the previous owner). If there were a better way to get the oil out I might consider changing it to Dextron III. If any other old Comp owner out there can share an easier way to drain the oil then please let me know.

foxriverat
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Picked up a 96 ts6m comp a month ago. Going to change the tranny fluid next week when I winterize. I have the pcm 1.1 trans. Manual calls for the 20 20w oil. The fluid in my trans is red. So should I assume it has been changed over to the dextron? Thanks.

wotan2525
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
When I pulled my engine this summer I decided it was a good time to give the tranny a really good flushing.... imagine my surprise when I found that there isn't actually a drain plug on the bottom of the engine. As far as I can tell -- the only way to get oil out of there is sucking it through the dipstick tube. I don't think you'll ever get everything out of there. Good luck!

chautauquasun
10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I had a bad oil cooler this year and kept losing fluid and getting water in it. I used an electric pump with a hose that fit down in the dip stick hold and pump out most of it. I too have been confused about what fluid to use. I had a Borg Warner velvet drive manual I pulled off the internet. It said that I should use Type F fluid. That is what I have been using and have not had a problem. Although mine is an 1984 and I believe I read that new transmission use the Dextron III. Also if you look at an original Supra Manual it calls for a different type of fluid.

I too have asked board for recommendations but didnt get many. Like I said Type F seems to be working well with mine.

foxriverat
10-15-2009, 03:48 AM
I will be using the drill pump as well to remove the fluid. Manual says there is a drain plug. But I dont see or feel one anywhere. (Gotta love manuals written for multiple engines and transmissions). I would think the old 20w oil origanally used in the trans would be the same color as motor oil. Since mine is red. I imagine it must be some kind of dextron.

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
10-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I just bought a nice used 94 Supra TS6M with the PCM transmission. The owner's manual states that 20-20w SG rated oil should be used in that tranny. Discount Inboard Marine says that Dexon III transmission fluid is now recommended for all PCM transmissions. I have been unsuccessful at finding straight 20 weight oil and am tempted to go with DIM's recommendation. What does everyone else use???

Thanks!

I had a 1996 Ski Naughtuiqe with PCM drop down style tranny, so motor was level to stringers not on a angle like my 2002 Launch. Anyway there was a drain plug on that tranny, I think it was a allen key type plug and it was very hard to do but I was able to drain it out,That tranny called for dextron type2
or type3. I used Mobil 1 synthetic atf with very good results

And I am sucking out fluid on my newer boat and using Mobil 1 syn ATF
in it also. Remember to add a little extra ATF if your are wieghting your boat heavy to one side with ballasts bags for surfing. Just use filler stick as a guide instead of screwing it all the way in to check fluid level set fluid level
with stick just resting outside of tranny, also use a extra half US quart of engine oil. THESE TIPS WILL PERVENT TRANNY FAILURE AND IMPROVE OILING ON ENGINE AS MOTORS AND TRANNYS WERE NOT DESIGNED FOR THE ABUSE WAKESURFING PUTS ON YOUR BOAT.
If surfing or wakeborading is not your primary gig, just use normal fluid levels BUT I HIGHLY RECOMEND SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL AND ATF.

I have had 5 boats over last 25years and always used the best oil,gear lube or ATF available.
Happy Boating> Dave

beast 496
10-27-2009, 12:32 AM
The PCM tranny had a service bulletin in the mid 90's to stop using the 20wt oil and switch to Dextron, Dextron III is the best to use for either the borg warner or the PCM. the tranny oil should be changed every time the engine oil is changed, note, if you overheat the engine, change the tranny fluid also. the water flowing into the engine is what cools the tranny. If the fluid get too hot all lubricating propertys disopate very quickly. Allan