PDA

View Full Version : My first boat, (its a Supra)

edgewater1
06-13-2010, 06:42 PM
I found a 1991 supra sunsport in rough shape, the trailer is beyond repair. the engine hasn't been run in two years, yet it has been winterized. the side are oxidized a blue boat aappears almost white,,, but it will be mine on tuesday night.

List of Duty's
1. Find a Trailer
2. Get rid of old trailer
3. de-oxidize sides
4. peel vinyl lettering/stripes off side
5. clean interior
5.1. sand+prep bottom
6. paint bottom white
7. change oil, new water pump+all filters
8. new stereo Dual+marine grade speakers 2- 6 1/2's
8.1. find the problems in the electrail system, i know there are some its a
20 years old boat
9. detail entire boat.. then wax
10. prep for 650 mile trip to maine

Now, why i have put this list up, i need help!.. not actual help fixing i need recommendations on paints, cleaning material, de-oxideizers, wax, vinyl cleaners, engine parts, and anything to do with that list.. eventually i will put pictures up of before>after and some before questions

ANthony,
and yes i know its a mess:):):)

Blackntan90
06-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow! Where to start? Make sure to remove the spark plugs, and spray a LITTLE oil into the cylinders first. Be sure the fluids get changed (including the trans)- maybe a couple of times! My point is to make sure the mechanicals are in good working order, then work on the rest! A good resource for parts is skidim.com- they are very helpful with tech stuff also. I sometimes get parts from my dealer- but thats 45 minutes away. Well best of luck with your 'new' supra! I am sure if you refer to this board, from time to time, you will learn alot about your boat!

cmtaylor777
06-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Good luck with her. Welcome to the club.

Kip
06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Congratulations, Good luck with your projects. A cheap way to take the oxidation off the exterior of the boat is to use the blue Works toilet bowl cleaner. Use it outside and wear saftey glasses. put it on with a sponge over a small area (2'x2') scrub it with a scour pad or medium bristle brush then wash off good with water.

Good Luck

edgewater1
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
just thought i'd tell eah what i have paid for it,....... $1800 CASH MONEY

mapleleaf
06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
how 'bout some pic's!!!!!!

edgewater1
06-15-2010, 11:07 AM
The pics, just a few

mapleleaf
06-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Trailer looks like an Eagle, I had to rebuild mine last year. Didn't take too much time or $$$$ (maybe 5-600) and it saved me from having to buy a new one $2000 ++++. Just some food for thought....

Hematoma
06-15-2010, 03:29 PM
You would be suprised with what you can do with someone elses junk. I payed 1100 for mine. It sat in a barn for 10yrs I got a hull, trailor, and motor/engine cover for 1100.00 Now a yr later and its (not to toot my own horn) one of the sickest old school boats on the water.

scroll down afew post.
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=6738&page=2

sybrmike
06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Think people will get it if I name mine "Sub 2K"?

Of course, I've already tripled that & she's still in pieces!

Hematoma
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Think people will get it if I name mine "Sub 2K"?

Of course, I've already tripled that & she's still in pieces!

Hey mike you hang out on GCWA.com also you know I guy named Fred with an Epic? He runs around on the lower San Jac and the San Bernard river. Real good friend of mine.

sybrmike
06-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Nope & Nope. Been out of boating for awhile (wife, kids, life, etc.) - remember when kneeboarding was new. Thankfully, found this forum when I started searching for a project boat last fall to get me back in the game. Haven't been to San Jac since my old jet boat days...

Hey edge, check out the wetsanding threads for that hull. I've been working on my top cap - lots of work, but finally seeing some shine.

Hematoma
06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Nope & Nope. Been out of boating for awhile (wife, kids, life, etc.) - remember when kneeboarding was new. Thankfully, found this forum when I started searching for a project boat last fall to get me back in the game. Haven't been to San Jac since my old jet boat days...

Hey edge, check out the wetsanding threads for that hull. I've been working on my top cap - lots of work, but finally seeing some shine.Check out GCWA.com when you get a chance lots of good peeps houston based wakeboard forum. Hey what jet did you have? I had a 77 sleekcraft tunnel hull BB 460.

sybrmike
06-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry for the hijack, Edge.

Thanks for the heads up, Hematoma - will def check em out. 1976 21' Hawian, 460 BBF, Berkley. Nothing quite sounds like a BB with a set of Bassetts. Must be gettin old though, I'm o.k. that my Salt has mufflers...

edgewater1
06-16-2010, 07:55 AM
real excited i pick the boat up on friday

sybrmike
06-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Good luck. Take a few basic tools (ya just never know) & be sure to check out the wheel bearings on the trailer & grease em if needed.

edgewater1
06-16-2010, 06:23 PM
not to sound snobby(spellin), but i have'n some-one move it for us, two reasons i just put a tranny in my truck, and i dont want to screw the boat, the transport company is insured.....
more importantly what should i do first????, refer to my original list

edgewater1
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
i bet my family hasn't seen the boat yet either, thinking about it i might work the electrical first, what do u all think, i can do the de-oxidation,a hull painting after i make sure it runs.

Okie Boarder
06-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I would agree. Focus on function before you try to make it look nice.

sybrmike
06-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Structural -check the stringers, mounts, floor, etc. & look over the trailer.

Then mechanical - de-winterize & basic tune-up (engine & tranny fluids, plugs, carb, impeller, etc). Put a little oil in the cylinders and turn it over a few time to coat the walls.

Then electrical - battery, alt, points (or electronic conversion), gauges, lights, stereo, accessories, etc.

Then cosmetic - wetsand, compound, polish, & wax hull, wood treatment, carpet, vinyl, etc.

Of course, this from a guy who's doing everything at once. When my shoulders are to tired to keep wetsanding, I switch to the new gauges for awhile. When I'm tired of crimping leads, switch to drilling rivets in the windshield in prep for powdercoat. Main thing is to keep at it. It's easy to get stuck in paralysis by analysis. Break it down into smaller tasks and knock them out one by one. Good luck.

edgewater1
06-19-2010, 04:28 PM
i have the boat, its home and it will soon be upon blocks, trailer is either going to be replaced or rebuilt i have a mechanic coming to check the trailer and see if it would be cost effective to repair it. next i have a second mechanic that is going to check the transmission and engine over, place the water pump on it.

my first task---
1. change oil, plugs, oil filter, gas filter, check gas quality
2. deoxidize the sides, remove vinyl lettering, wash and wax
3. clean, and bleach interior aka seats and play pen,

Now, 1. i have under control. 2. what do you use to deoxidize the sides of your boat, "works" didn't really work for me, i'm thinking rubbing compound and a power buffer???, how do you all remove the vinyl stripes off the sides?, mine are all torn up and do not look good, what kinda of wax i was thinking 3M?. 3. what works well to make the gauges(cockpit "Spelling" ) look better mine is all gross. and faded?

TOny
and i know its a mess

Kip
06-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Edge, I used works to remove the scum on the outside then buffed it hard with an aggressive buffing compound and a wool pad. I would suggest finding a detail supply salesman at a car dealership or detail shop. The stuff I purchased was called Tru-Grit I think it was made by Malco?

For removing the stripes I got a eraser wheel. It is a rubber wheel that goes on the end of a electric drill. I got mine from the detail supply salesman but have heard Napa carries them also.

BigCity444
06-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Congratulations, Good luck with your projects. A cheap way to take the oxidation off the exterior of the boat is to use the blue Works toilet bowl cleaner. Use it outside and wear saftey glasses. put it on with a sponge over a small area (2'x2') scrub it with a scour pad or medium bristle brush then wash off good with water.

Good Luck

This works? What a cheap way of doing it for light oxidation.

bryan632
06-23-2010, 11:27 PM
That paint may not be as bad as it seems. before trying anything too over-the-top, i would acid wash the exterior. On and OFF acid wash has worked pretty well on my boat's scum ring. then hit it up with some rubbing compound and a rotary buffer with little pressure so you don't cut too deep. Then hit it up with a few coats of wax and that may bring the original luster back. a lot of people do the wet sanding method but You may get by with less. Good luck and congratulations on your find.

edgewater1
06-24-2010, 07:42 AM
naturally the boat has problems, i am dealing with large amount of rust on The boat, the fuel filter was solid rust and so are the manifolds/risers. so i will be buying new ones, that another few hundred

Sunapee Sunsport
06-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Before you try to turn this engine over. remove plugs and spray some sea foam in those cylinders. If it has been put up for a long time you still could have gotten some rust on those cylinder walls. So spin engine over first with a wrench on the front bolt on the center pulley. If it turns but then stops. Stop do not force you could crack a ring. Mine had sat for 4 1/2 years and rust formed on the 2 lower cylinder walls . You are taking to Maine where about? I am in New HAmpshire and have some great local resources ie, machine shop, electronic rebuild shops, carb shops ect. Why repaint you can polish and buff that hull back allong with those decals you would be surprised.

edgewater1
06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
around skowhegan? if that makes sense, embden pond is its final destination.. i got all the vinyl off and have some rubbing compound and a good buffer it will look nice after i spend sometime on it on saturday. i hope