PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Interior Speakers

8rl16
06-14-2010, 12:49 AM
We recently had our interior speakers stolen out of our 2008 Supra 21V launch... so now I am looking to buy new ones to replace them.

First of all, this is a stupid question, but what size speakers were in the boat to begin with? Secondly, does anyone have recommendations as to what I should replace them with? I would probably be looking to put fairly good quality ones in. Lastly, if I do replace them should I be considering buying a second battery? I don't know if better speakers would drain a single battery too much.

Thanks!!

jonyb
06-14-2010, 10:31 AM
The stock speakers are 6.5's.

Wet Sounds has a speaker that will drop in and make a huge difference in sound. The SS-65 retails for about $149/pair but if you have a local dealer you may get them cheaper.

Speakers are not the thing that drains batteries. Amps take battery power, so if you upgrade amps, then it's possible that you'll need a new battery. It all depends on how you play the stereo. Is it on all the time? How many hours of the day does the stereo play when the boat isn't running?

8rl16
06-14-2010, 02:12 PM
The stereo is probably on for a few hours without the boat running every time I take it out. I am normally pretty good about driving it around in circles periodically when I do that, but I am still worried about it because I do have a big amp and tour speakers. Should I have two batteries with all that?

Thanks for the advice on speakers!

8rl16
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I was just looking at Infinity 612M speakers, so you have any opinion on them?

cmtaylor777
06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Stick with Wet Sounds.

Matt Laird
06-14-2010, 06:59 PM
I would agree with JonyB & Chad, Go with the wetsounds, You will be amazed @ the sound quality..

jclevoy
06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
They are a little more expensive, but I love my Exile cabin speakers. They sound amazing. I am sure the Wetsounds are good as also.

jonyb
06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
The stereo is probably on for a few hours without the boat running every time I take it out. I am normally pretty good about driving it around in circles periodically when I do that, but I am still worried about it because I do have a big amp and tour speakers. Should I have two batteries with all that?

Thanks for the advice on speakers!

I was just looking at Infinity 612M speakers, so you have any opinion on them?

If you don't want to be stranded with a dead battery, then yes, you need 2 batteries.

I think the Infinity's are 2 ohm speakers. If they are, then you'll need an amp for them.

wotan2525
06-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm going to disagree with some of this thread.... WetSounds are GREAT speakers but I still can't justify the price for their in-boat speakers. You'd be so much better off spending the money on powering a mediocre set of speakers than underpowering a great set of speakers. Kicker, Infinity, JL (and a host of other, smaller brands) all make great speakers. Just make sure you don't buy anything with paper cones -- unless you're using these in a salt-water environment, you'll never have a problem. I think Marine specific speakers are a big scam.

jonyb
06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Something you need to take into consideration wotan, the only prices you've seen for the Wet Sounds speakers is the MSRP. I don't know about other dealers, but I don't sell anything for MSRP. The speakers are marked at that, but I always drop a few dollars to make the customer feel like he's getting a good deal. The SS-65's RETAIL for $159/pair. Even at that price, that's cheaper then the JL, and Kicker, in the marine speaker, unless you're buying them from the online chopshops, but you won't find WS product in those sweatshops, only at AUTHORIZED dealers. Dealers that sell you a speaker that will work with your system. Lots of people go out and buy the Infinity speakers, put them in, then wonder why the radio shuts off when they turn it up. Since they chose their own speaker they didn't have a clue that the impedance of those speakers is 2 ohm, and must be powered by an amplifier.

Marine specific is not a big scam. I've got several speakers and amps screwed to the wall in my shop showing what happens to non-marine grade amps and speakers when they get wet. If you have a local dealer, I'm sure they'd be happy to explain the differences to you, if you care to listen.

wotan2525
06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not hating and would love to hear how/why I'm wrong (and accept that it's a real possibility!) Feel free to post up some pictures/information on how/why non-marine grade speakers are better. I do expect more than just some marketing buzzwords about "rubber coated spiders" and "resin coated baskets."

I have no doubt that marine grade amps are much, much, much more water resistant than their regular 12v counterparts. Even so, I would never mount an amp anywhere close to where there was even a passing chance of it getting splashed/wet. I'm probably harder on gear than most and I've never had a problem with a non-marine 12v amp in 10 years.

KG's Supra24
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Bullet Hollowpoints 6.5 is also a drop in that sounds great. I'd put it up against the Wetsouind any day and i, personally, like the look more.

If money is an issue, though, just go with the Polk db series. They have gotten great reviews and seem to be the in-boat go to. No they arent the loudest speaker but its an upgrade from the stock, cost is somewhere in the $50 per pair range, and for in boats it would be plenty loud. Just my opinion.

If you are going to buy one of the high end speakers (wetsound, bullet, exile) then you have to have an amp running them or its pointless.

Rusty Griswold
07-15-2010, 02:58 PM
OK, I see some speaker talk and I am not an expert but love music. So here is what I was thinking. I have a 06 24ssv with the stock kenwood system. Amp sub with interior speakers and tower speakers. I was thinking this.
In this order will my sound improve if I go either partial or all the way.

1. replace interior speakers
2. replace stereo. I am wanting a Ipod jack
3 replace amp
4. replace sub
5. replace tower speakers ( I still like the look and size. I have speaker sox on )

Thanks for the input

KG's Supra24
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
I have the same boat. Do you have the roswell towers?

This is the order i would work in ...

1. Tower speakers. This will also require 1 or 2 amps depending on how big you want to go. They make 6.5" direct drop in for the roswell speaker/light. HLCD or coaxial.

2. Sub. The excelon they put in the boat is a pretty good sub and DVC i think. Biggest thing here is a box and proper amp. You can have a dedicated amp or use a multichannel in line with the in boats.

3. In boat. Biggest thing here is doing the wiring properly as SC f'ed this all up.

4. I didnt bother replacing my head unit. That kenwood head unit has an aux input that you can buy the dataport for apple or run rca to plug into a headphone jack.

Purchase amps in line with the speakers so you can match up wattages.

jonyb
07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
OK, I see some speaker talk and I am not an expert but love music. So here is what I was thinking. I have a 06 24ssv with the stock kenwood system. Amp sub with interior speakers and tower speakers. I was thinking this.
In this order will my sound improve if I go either partial or all the way.

1. replace interior speakers
2. replace stereo. I am wanting a Ipod jack
3 replace amp
4. replace sub
5. replace tower speakers ( I still like the look and size. I have speaker sox on )

Thanks for the input

What's your budget?

1. Good idea, they're paper-coned junk.
2. You can get the ip-500 to add ipod, and it controls the ipod through the wired remotes, and also charges the ipod.
3. Good idea.
4. It's junk, good idea.
5. You can replace the existing junk $10 paper-coned speakers with the Wet Sounds XS-650's or SS-65's. The 65's should drop right in, cans may need to be trimmed out a little with the XS-650's. It also depends on what you're doing for power. The 65's are more efficient then the 650's, so they'll need less power.

Rusty Griswold
07-15-2010, 08:37 PM
thanks for the responses. budget just got bigger. I can go 2,000 But I need to find someone in the northern Ky Cincinnati area to install. The system is bad, I will give you that.

Anyone have any installers in these area's let me know. The boat is at Lake Cumberland, KY

KG's Supra24
07-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Are you wanting to keep the roswell lightbar?

Cans will set you back more money taking away from other.places but a 7.7 would sound better.than a 6.5.

Id start.with.that.decision.because.the.towers.are what's.gonna cost.

jonyb
07-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Cans will set you back more money taking away from other.places but a 7.7 would sound better.than a 6.5.

And 7.7's alone are more expensive then a replacement can and standard speaker.

WadsworthSunsport22V
07-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Marine specific is not a big scam. I've got several speakers and amps screwed to the wall in my shop showing what happens to non-marine grade amps and speakers when they get wet. If you have a local dealer, I'm sure they'd be happy to explain the differences to you, if you care to listen.

I agree with JonyB. Everything in the boat should be marine rated. I went through three Diamond D7 amps, and one eclipse amp that were not marine rated. The diamonds did not even last two months. I now have Memphis marine amps, and they get wet all the time and keep on playing. I also have upgraded the cheesy kenwood speakers to some marine rated speakers.

KY Steve
07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Anyone have any installers in these area's let me know. The boat is at Lake Cumberland, KY

Rusty, there is a guy that advertises in Jamestown near Welchs Marine. I'll get the name and number but I wont be down until next weekend.

But I'm guessing you're at the Somerset side of the lake since you're from Cinci.

Rusty Griswold
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Yes I was wanting to keep the same cans on the tower if possible. I don't have a light bar
thanks

KG's Supra24
07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
What size cans?

I'll assume 6.5. I'd try to get 6.5 bullet hollowpoint hlcd. They are the only one I know that sells a standalone 6.5 hlcd. If not that is look at the coaxials from bullet and wetsound xs650.

ditchsnake
01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Laird;38199]I would agree with JonyB & Chad, Go with the wetsounds, You will be amazed @ the sound quality..[/QUOTEI'm new to this site. Sold my old boat i/o crownline and just bought a new 2008 22 launch. Working on the sound system. Which wet sound coax were you talking about the 650's or the 65's. I have the kicker 620's now but what brighter. If the 65's are not a hugh upgrade I'll go with the 650's but will have to re-amp. Any thoughts, thanks, Gene

ditchsnake
01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Stick with Wet Sounds.

I an new to this site as I just bought a new holdover 22 launch. I am thinking about upgrading the kicker 620 coax with wet sounds. Were you talking about the 65's or the 650's? I was hoping the 65's would be a big upgrade but if not it'll be the 650's. I'll have to re-amp for the 650's. Thanks for your input. Gene

jonyb
01-17-2011, 11:31 PM
The 650's are a huge improvement over the 65's, and most other standard coax's, including the Polk's that everyone rave about.

The 650's have a lower impedance then most though, they show about 3.6-3.7 ohm per speaker. When you load down a 4-channel amp with 3 or 4 pair, 1 channel will see less than 2 ohm. Most amplifiers wont do that. I've had some problems before with that on customer's boats. The Syn4 is the only amp I've seen so far that will handle that low of an impedance that won't shut off.

I'd recommend 3 pair of 650's in the stock locations with a Syn4 powering them. That's what I did in my boat as well.