PDA

View Full Version : no spark please help

Ironcross25
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
!oat ran fine last year. Did a tune. Plugs,wires, cap,rotor,points,condensor(I think that's the other piece in there) coil. Replace resistor last year. Go to start and no spark. I have the spark tester hooked up so I'm sure there is no spark. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm not a full go mechanic but I know my share about motors. Am I missing something or is my prob in the distributor? Any help would be great. Thanks
Nick

Ironcross25
06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
86 marauder with a pcm 454.

michael hunter
06-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Place a test light from the + side of the coil to ground key on it should light. Then place it on the - side of the coil and crank the engine. The test light should flash. If it doesn't check the points and condenser if it does check the cap,rotor wires and coil.

Hematoma
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
!oat ran fine last year. Did a tune. Plugs,wires, cap,rotor,points,condensor(I think that's the other piece in there) coil. Replace resistor last year. Go to start and no spark. I have the spark tester hooked up so I'm sure there is no spark. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm not a full go mechanic but I know my share about motors. Am I missing something or is my prob in the distributor? Any help would be great. Thanks
Nick

That little white ceramic ballest/heatsink might of went bad. The power to your coil runs thru it, if it goes bad you wont get power to the coil.

P.S. nice boat I have a 84 Maruader with a 351.

Ironcross25
06-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I replaced that last year but ill check it as well. Ill also do the light test too. Ithanks and ill let u know what I find.

Ironcross25
06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
So just checked with test light. Pos side of coil weak light. Neg side while crank light barley comes on. Checked power in to white ceramic balast strong light on power in and weak light one power out. So guess ill try a new ne of those

beast 496
06-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Why don't you just eliminate the external ballast resistor and coil with a new internal resistor coil. Much better system. Al

Hematoma
06-14-2010, 11:54 PM
So just checked with test light. Pos side of coil weak light. Neg side while crank light barley comes on. Checked power in to white ceramic balast strong light on power in and weak light one power out. So guess ill try a new ne of those

Good deal, sounds like you got it figured out. I bought 2 of them one as a spare I keep in my tool pouch. I picked them up at O'riellys.

Ironcross25
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I am getting the new one today and with my fingers crossed this does the trick and Im back in the water.

Hematoma
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I am getting the new one today and with my fingers crossed this does the trick and Im back in the water.Sweet boat, I remember when I had the only Marauder on the forum. Now there is a few floating around.

mapleleaf
06-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the info. I am getting the new one today and with my fingers crossed this does the trick and Im back in the water.

Good looking rig, color match looks sweet.....Hope you get it running....

Ironcross25
06-17-2010, 05:47 PM
thanks guys. got the boat started today. I pulled it out to put a new coil with internal resistor but the thing just started right up. I thing it may have just need more time to get fuel but my battery wasnt at full charge. I have know ran into an issue that may be severe. I will go into that in another thread.