PDA

View Full Version : Stinger Battery Question??

jclevoy
06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Here is a picture of my 2 Stinger Batteries......

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/jclevoy/07MoombaLSV/DSC_8569.jpg

I have no power at my boat storage. Getting power to my building is unfortunately..........not an option. It is necessary for me to pull both batteries fairly frequently to take them to my car garage and charge them. First couple of times, I was able to get both batteries out without incident. This go-around, I cannot get the smaller battery out of the battery sleeve that is mounted in the boat. There is not enough of a lip to grasp. I had been able to get it out the last couple times, but this time..........I cannot do it. The only thing that I can think of..........to get the battery out is to back-out the terminals quite a ways, slide a small screw-driver in between the battery and the terminal and using that as a makeshift handle. Do the terminals on those stinger batteries unscrew with an allen wrench? Is there an easier way to get this battery out? And after I have it out, what is suggested so that I don't have this problem again. The SPP 2250 has a nylon handle. Is there a way to affix that type of handle onto the smaller battery?

UPDATE:

I was able to get the smaller stinger out of the metal sleeve that is installed in the boat by unscrewing the two terminals and then sliding an allen wrench behind each terminal and using them as a make-shift handle. I sure don't want to have to repeat this process just to get the battery out next time. Anyone have any suggestions?? I plan to place a nylon strap under the battery into the compartment to use and lift it out next time............but does anyone have one of the smaller stinger batteries and have a better suggestion??

TIA

wotan2525
06-15-2010, 01:36 AM
I've seen battery handles that I think would be perfect for you.... Not sure where you are but we have a farm supply shop in the midwest called Fleet Farm that carries them.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/2303638/car-battery-carrier

jonyb
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Jason, if you keep using the screwdriver under the terminals, it'll pull the terminals through the threads and destroy them. I probably wouldn't do that anymore.

wotan, i don't think there's enough plastic on the sides for that piece to grab to.

Charge the battery to 100%, then leave teh battery switch on 1 at all times when the boat is running. The battery should be fine and won't need to be charged every time.

jclevoy
06-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Jason, if you keep using the screwdriver under the terminals, it'll pull the terminals through the threads and destroy them. I probably wouldn't do that anymore.

wotan, i don't think there's enough plastic on the sides for that piece to grab to.

Charge the battery to 100%, then leave teh battery switch on 1 at all times when the boat is running. The battery should be fine and won't need to be charged every time.

That's fine John, but how do I get it out when I do need to get it out to charge it?? I plan to place a nylon strap under the battery and see if it will slide into place. If so, that should work ok, but I had hoped for a better fix than that.

jonyb
06-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I was going to suggest a nylon strap like that, but if the case is that tight now, theres a chance that it won't fit back in at all with the strap. Next time you take it out, you may cut out a small piece of 3/4" plywood and set it inside the case for the battery to sit on. It'll sit higher, so you should be able to remove it easier. If that's too high and it looks goofy, try 1/2".

jclevoy
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I was going to suggest a nylon strap like that, but if the case is that tight now, theres a chance that it won't fit back in at all with the strap. Next time you take it out, you may cut out a small piece of 3/4" plywood and set it inside the case for the battery to sit on. It'll sit higher, so you should be able to remove it easier. If that's too high and it looks goofy, try 1/2".

Thanks John. I just got off the phone with Tony at Stinger. He basically suggested the same thing. I told him I had that leftover carpet and he said that I could use that and make it several ply thick to suit the desired height. He said that battery once had a small handle (or maybe the new battery has the handle), but since most people don't have the need to remove it as often as my special circumstances...............It is not usually an issue. I will let you know how it goes.

jonyb
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
The 925 is the newest version of that size. The 800 that was in my boat when you were here imploded, and the replacement was the 925, so that's what's in there now. I don't remember the 800 to have a handle, or even have slots for a carrier.

Let me know how it works out.