PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel

chautauquasun
06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
I am unstalling a new helm and steering cable on my 1984 Supra Rider but ran into a little problem. I took the nut off of the steering wheel but it looks like there is a locking nut of some type or it is threaded onto the steering post. Anybody take their's off before? Do I need a puller to remove it or do I need to unscrew it somehow? anybody have any ideas?

wotan2525
06-16-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not 100% on this but I think I remember needing a puller to get mine off. Should only be the one nylon locking nut on the top and then it's just the steering wheel pressed on to the shaft.

sybrmike
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't know about 84, but my 89 had a tapered shaft and key under the nut. Took me awhile to find metric bolts (the only metric I found on the boat) to thread into the hub so I could use a puller. PB Blaster is your friend.

Hematoma
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
If your replaceing the entire helm just loosen up the bolt thats hold the actual helm on to the dash and tap it out. My 85 had a tapored shaft with a woodruft key. I replaced everything and just tapped it out the back.

dshaff24
06-18-2010, 01:55 AM
I know I didn't need a puller with mine, But all I can remember is to pop the cap, Pull the nut, Spray some pb blaster and I rocked it side to side till it got free!