PDA

View Full Version : My boat runs sluggish! Any suggestions?

SupraBrando
06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I recently aquired a 1987 Supra Comp, and the last few times I've taken it out it starts running sluggish after an hour or two. Usually the top speed is about 30mph. Is this normal? After a couple of hours the boat has trouble starting and will not get above 15mph. Can anyone help please?

michael hunter
06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Points?

Kip
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
30 is slow unless you have a prop for low end power. My mariah with the stock prop runs right under 40mph.

I agree with Michael on his suggestions starting with a new fuel filter

brack
06-16-2010, 11:56 PM
My lil .02 here...... I dont t believe it would be the FF . BUT it is a cheap thing to replace if you havent yet . With it getting worse at it heats up , i would try & check the ignition parts . ie coil , points , rotor , cap , wires etc.....

SupraBrando
06-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm on my third fuel filter now, so I don't think that's it. I just got my boat out of the shop today and they charged me $90 dollars to run my boat for 30 minutes and tell me that everything looks good and the engine runs great. Is it possible that I had some bad gas or water in the tank? I'm affraid the same thing is going to happen again next time I take it out! Thanks for your help everyone!