PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Launch 22SSV

j_d_ruper22
06-16-2010, 07:46 PM
In late 2008, I bought mine new and have had nothing but trouble. Is this uncommon? Mostly electrical issues, stereo, ground noises, etc... Anybody else?

jaywidhalm
06-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I bought my Sunsport new as well. To be honest, I had numerous issues as well, all covered under warranty. However, the headache, stress, and time are another aspect of the whole deal. I was very concerned with the quality of these boats, due to so many issues. I was re-assured numerous times that when buying a new boat this is common. They are built by humans, not machines like cars, and transporting them across the country is like putting them in a paint shaker. Spending the kind of money we do on these is very frustrating when you have continual issues. With that being said, I did get my issues resolved thus far, and have had nothing further. I do not have a ton of hours on the boat yet, but everything seems to be going ok. I know others have had issues with the newer purchases, and I am sure they will post their experiences as well. I do beleive the quality of these boats is one of the best. There are a lot of older ones out there still being used. I think the issues need to get resolved initially and you will be happy. I had issues with lights, electrical, stereo, perfect pass, and the wakeplate. All of which seem to be good to go now. Don't get too frustrated.

thescott
06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Bummer...I've got an 0822ssv bought new in July 08...I had some gel cracks repaired under warranty and once it threw a check engine light due to a faulty post catalytic temp sensor-also repaired under warranty. Then more recently one of the wake plate pistons was leaking...bennett sent me new seals so that's all good now. Just got back from a weekend at the lake last night after logging my 210th hr on the boat in just under 2 years...so, pretty good ratio of issue to fun time for me. Never been stranded (knock on wood).

I'll admit that I've heard more grumbling about Supras/SKier's choice than most other boats/manufacturers. I just haven't had those issues (yet). Hope things get fixed for you...it's been said time and time again, with how much $$ we spend on these things, they should be built right. If mistakes were made in the design/build process, Skier's choice should step up and make it right.

jonyb
06-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I've had lots of issues myself, along with dealer issues, but none as major as others, just quality control or how they built the boat more than anything. Most of those issues have been worked out, except for the ballast., which has never worked right.

Anyone considering a Skier's Choice boat needs to just assume that when they buy the boat, the stereo will suck. They have no business in the audio field. The flagship boat for 2007 came with $10 speakers, and a sub that was so underpowered that if you could actually hear it, it was nothing but distortion. The head unit and remotes are okay, I especially like the transom remote, but the whole amp and speaker selection was terrible. They got a little better when they went to the Kicker amps and speakers, but not much better.

FWIW, I worked on a Centurion that had the top of the line Skyon system in it, and it was the same thing. 3 small Kicker 4-channel amps, Skylon speakers, and the amp powering the 15" sub was about 125W.

Fman
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Just got back from a trip with my brother in law who has an '07 Mastercraft X-15, his nav/tower lights blew out, ballast gauges stopped working properly, and his tower is the wobbliest thing I have ever seen. Infact they sold him stabilizing brackets because they were bending. Even with the brackets on, its a very poor design of a tower. The rad-a-cage is MUCH stronger and stable. He has 108 hours on his boat. He also had the engine not start with his first trip out on the lake, it was a faulty sensor (Indmar). Still a very nice boat, that throws a great wake. Knock on wood but my Supra just turned 187 hours and still has been pretty solid.

Along with other pre-'09 owners, the ballast system I had to completely redesign which cost me $500, and I did have a couple little items when I first bought the boat --- faulty O2 sensor which threw a check eng. light, leaking front nav lights (when submerged) with bow of boat loaded with people, and swivel board racks replaced... biggest gripe about the boat was the ballast system, it never worked properly from the first day I had the boat in the water, it was great to see them change it in '09.

So, yes they all have there issues, and Mastercraft is ranked very high when it comes to boat builders. Overall I think Supra builds a solid boat.

wakejmpr
07-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Boats break, period. Doesn't matter what kind and how much you paid and if you own one you need to learn to fix the little stuff or you'll never be on the water. I don't have enough space in this box to write about all the things i've fixed on my supra and bought it new in 07. A lot of things were just built poorly and they were the little things that get annoying to fix but for the most part i haven't had any real mechanical issues with my supra so far. knock on wood. I have almost 300 hours on it and i only get to ride it 4-5 months out of the year if i'm lucky. I Just got the new swivel rack parts from roswell and can't wait to change those out. three point system is hot garbage. As for the stereo i gutted the whole thing and replaced it with JL audio. that was pricy. my ballast system is not bad but it get funky. Bags fill when i don't turn them on and empty on their own so going to rip it out and upgrade at the end of the season.

roosevelt123
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I too am trying not to get discouraged. baught a new 09 22ssv spent the first looong day on the water seating the rings and following break in procedure. took it to the dealer for the its first scheduled service at 17hrs and at 30hrs the engine started knocking. Dealer said it was a bent pushrod and possibly a stuck lifter. that was almost a month ago and still waiting for indmar to ship a new engine to the dealer. dealer said they have had to call indmar on a regular basis to get them to respond..... Is this normal?

Fman
07-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I too am trying not to get discouraged. baught a new 09 22ssv spent the first looong day on the water seating the rings and following break in procedure. took it to the dealer for the its first scheduled service at 17hrs and at 30hrs the engine started knocking. Dealer said it was a bent pushrod and possibly a stuck lifter. that was almost a month ago and still waiting for indmar to ship a new engine to the dealer. dealer said they have had to call indmar on a regular basis to get them to respond..... Is this normal?

For what its worth, a friend of mine has an '07 Tige 22Ve, motor blew after 87 hours of use. Same problem, bent pushrod and I believe Tige uses PCM engines. It took over two months to get it repaired, luckly for him it was at the end of the season and sat in the shop from Oct-Jan.

You might want to call Indmar yourself, sometimes the dealers are not to pro-active of getting results. Especially seeing as we are in the middle of the season and you have no boat. Hope it works out for you soon.

Fman
07-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Boats break, period. Doesn't matter what kind and how much you paid and if you own one you need to learn to fix the little stuff or you'll never be on the water. I don't have enough space in this box to write about all the things i've fixed on my supra and bought it new in 07. A lot of things were just built poorly and they were the little things that get annoying to fix but for the most part i haven't had any real mechanical issues with my supra so far. knock on wood. I have almost 300 hours on it and i only get to ride it 4-5 months out of the year if i'm lucky. I Just got the new swivel rack parts from roswell and can't wait to change those out. three point system is hot garbage. As for the stereo i gutted the whole thing and replaced it with JL audio. that was pricy. my ballast system is not bad but it get funky. Bags fill when i don't turn them on and empty on their own so going to rip it out and upgrade at the end of the season.

I believe the core of the boat is solid (ie: hull, drivetrain, tower, etc..), but I agree, there are a few little items that could be upgraded during construction of the boat. Self tapping screws into fiberglass/plastic is not a good long term solution, I have already replaced a few hinges with bolts/nuts rather than the self tapping screws. Aluminum backing behind these screws would definitely help from pulling loose.

Vinyl and carpet has been holding up very good.

Have some friends mith Malibus and Mastercrafts, and they have had a few little items as well. Also notice, most people dont use there boat that much, I am putting on avg. 100-130 hours a year, which also makes the little items more prevelant to come up.

roosevelt123
07-28-2010, 11:49 AM
yea, I already talked to indmar once but if they drag their feet much more I will become their regular morning wake-up call:D I will say that other than the motor problems the boat has been sweet on the water. We just want to get as much smile time as we can before the season is over..

wotan2525
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome to boat ownership.... At least us old-school guys can justify the upkeep/repairs as a side-effect of owning something 20 years old. I know a lot of people that own boats and not one of them is maintenance free. Most people I know budget/plan (or are surprised by) an annual maintenance/repair budget of $1500 - $2000. That goes for all kinds of boats except the ones that sit on trailers. It's not the purchase price that makes boat ownership expensive.... If you can't afford to maintain one, you can't afford to own one.

roosevelt123
07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I hear you about the cost of upkeep. Old school or not if you buy it new you're not expecting it to have major mechanical at 30 hrs but it is not unheard of and will happen. I just want the great service end of it I heard about Supra boats to be there also. time will tell. I am new to the sport but have owned other types of boats before. On paper feature for feature the Supra looks to be a great value and I see a lot of the older models still on the water still performing well.

KG's Supra24
07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Roosevelt, Have you asked for another boat? If you bought this boat brand new and the engine is shot and its taking months to get back, I would be asking for a new boat. Right? I know it seems like a big request but I would be livid if a bought a brand new boat before summer and didnt have it a majority of the summer. You could have waited another year to buy!! Are they paying the interest on your loan?

I could understand if this was a used boat but there is no way I'd accept not having my boat for months if i bought it brand new and it was no fault of my own. Tell them to keep the boat!!

roosevelt123
07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Kg, I'm not there yet because it hasn't been a month but you can be sure that I am getting to be very unhappy with the good sweet time it's taking Indmar to call me back and send and engine when it's a cut and dry warranty situation. As our season slowly slips away it will end up costing them more in the long run either with bad press i will generate or direct negotiations. It's really sad because other than the way they are dragging their feet on taking care of the customer I still believe the product in the big picture is well made.
thanks for the feed back and suggestions

KG's Supra24
07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I love my Supra but I wouldnt be paying for a brand new boat for too long without being able to use it. I would pretty much consider it the same as ordering a boat and having to pay for it before it was delivered, a month later. No thanks.

I would def try to work out some negotiations.

Hope all works out well. Good luck!