PDA

View Full Version : 86 marauder tranny noise!!!

Ironcross25
06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
So finally got the boat started after the tune up. Looked to be in good shape until I hear an awful sound from the tranny. When I put it in gear and ingage it it sounds like something is grinding after every rotation. I know a stringer job was in my future but was hopeing to hold off as long as possible. When I put the boat on the trailer at the end of the year last year I heard a violent noise as if I hit something whil pulling on the trailer but I didnt hit anything. The passenger side motor mount bolts all spin and at idle the top area vibrates as if the wood is gone. Is there any bearings in the tranny that may have gone bad? or did my motor move and f something up and I need to add another old supre to the stringer job list? thanks
nick

Ironcross25
06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
another pic

wotan2525
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Is it making a noise only when it's in gear or also when it's in neutral? Does it seem to be at the same speed as the prop shaft rotation? What does putting it in reverse do? Check your propshaft alignment!!

Ironcross25
06-17-2010, 07:04 PM
makes the same noise forward and reverse, but it is worse in revers. shaft alignment looks to be on and spinning same.

Ironcross25
06-17-2010, 07:08 PM
ok so just recheck prop shaft alignment and the shaft sits all the way to the left when going thru the hull. I would assume that it should be centered. So if the prop shaft is now off then my motor must have moved.

beast 496
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
final alignment must be made while the boat is in the water, especially if you have weak stringers. Was the noise noticed while in the water or out? Check the strut brg also. Al

sybrmike
06-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Is this on land with a flush, or in the water. On land, the strut bearings are dry and can make a baad sound (they need water for lubrication).

Ironcross25
06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
it is on land with a flush. Ive never heard this before. the boat vibrates more than it ever has at idle. I can try to pop it in the water this week end and see if I hear it.

Ironcross25
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
are the strut bearings in the tranny? The sound is coming from the back of the tranny

csuggs
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Strut bearing is in the strut. If you're hearing noisxe out of velvet drive that's different. Does it seem to be different than last year?

Ironcross25
06-18-2010, 06:57 PM
its way different from last year. I just pulled the trigger and am tearing her apart and doing the stringers. I just pulled the interior and started poking around. motor mount are shot. So looks like my season is done unless I can move and get her done in a month or so. sucks but it had to be done and I knew it. it just was a matter of when.