PDA

View Full Version : Funny little charging problem...help...

gtbrault
06-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey guys new here - bought an 89 Comp last fall, was able to use it a handful of times before putting it away for the winter. Problem is the boat fires right up the first time, no problem, back her off the trailer and away we go - ski a few times and turn the boat off and no starting it a second time the battery just wears down trying to get it to turn over.
Funny thing is I can have it hooked up to a fake a lake in my driveway turn it on run it for a while, run the stereo then kill it and she starts up right away?!? I did find a post that said if the starter is going bad it can draw a battery down, I've pulled it to have a local dealer test it but am I headed down the right path? Battery tested fine so no worries there. The stereo has an amp hooked up to it but ever since the first time we were towed in we have left it off. I'm thinking of adding the add-a-battery and isolating the stereo and starting functions but if I don't absolutely have to do it right away so much the better for my wallet...

gtbrault
06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
after further investigating on the forum my next step after having the starter tested is to check the battery cables, I have already gone through and cleaned all connections and tightened them down - with any luck it'll be either the starter or the cables - man I hate electrical probs.

dshaff24
06-18-2010, 01:39 AM
after further investigating on the forum my next step after having the starter tested is to check the battery cables, I have already gone through and cleaned all connections and tightened them down - with any luck it'll be either the starter or the cables - man I hate electrical probs. Whats strange is if it was the cables you would think it would do it the first time to, My supra had the original starter on it and after running a the boat it would have a hard time starting and I was told to replace the start with a high tq and it would fix my problem,

Did you have your battery tested for Cranking amps? Not just voltage, Voltage can be normal and the battery can still be bad

If original start Id suggest a high tq

And another thing, If you have a good battery you would be able to crank it a LONG time before it dies, If you purchase a new battery I recommend Interstate Marine Cranking 24 series,, You can play your music all day long and still start the boat! and its got like 800 cranking amps its crazy!

Mani
06-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey guys new here - bought an 89 Comp last fall, was able to use it a handful of times before putting it away for the winter. Problem is the boat fires right up the first time, no problem, back her off the trailer and away we go - ski a few times and turn the boat off and no starting it a second time the battery just wears down trying to get it to turn over.
Funny thing is I can have it hooked up to a fake a lake in my driveway turn it on run it for a while, run the stereo then kill it and she starts up right away?!? I did find a post that said if the starter is going bad it can draw a battery down, I've pulled it to have a local dealer test it but am I headed down the right path? Battery tested fine so no worries there. The stereo has an amp hooked up to it but ever since the first time we were towed in we have left it off. I'm thinking of adding the add-a-battery and isolating the stereo and starting functions but if I don't absolutely have to do it right away so much the better for my wallet...

If the starter has ever been replaced with the wrong kind, say an automotive style starter, it can't take the heat coming off the block with no ventilation, and will lock up. I had this problem with my starter last season when I bought the boat. Took it in to have it rebuilt just to find out it was an automotive starter. New marine starter fixed the problem.

gtbrault
06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Dshaff24 -
Took my starter to a client who owns an auto repair shop to see if they could test it - guy grabbed the drive shaft and and the thing just flops all over the place - bushings are shot. Their thoughts are that the shaft presses on itself and will not spin freely. Where'd you get the high tourque starter from? How much? And how the heck can I tell if it's a right hand drive or left hand drive?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have someone load test the battery just to make sure - I grabbed the biggest battery I could stuff in there when I bought a new one last fall - had it hooked up to a maintainer all winter so it had plenty of juice. The strange thing is that it'll start time and time again when sitting in the driveway...

gtbrault
06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Took the starter over to an auto/marine electic place - they tried to get it to turn and it was frozen, he opened it up and it was a mess, rusted out. Ordered a new one will let you all know next week when I replace it...