PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Boat buddy

1Quickdoo
06-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a simple replacement for the boat buddy. The launch at my lake is not a good match for this system. Thinking of adding an additional roller in front of the bunks to guide it up, but rather just get wid of the skuffing thing. I have a 2004 22ssv. Thanks for the help.

autobahnracing
06-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I am sure the boat buddy sounded like a great idea to someone but mine quit working after only a couple uses. I left it on the trailer but it is not functioanal.

By all means add rollers, especially to the unprotected cross bar at the front of the trailer. Don't make my mistake. I have to find out how to fix my boat after it hit the bar while putting it on the trailer at a very steep boat launch. An additional roller would have prevented the damage. :( I don't want to hijack your thread so if anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this damage please pm me.

Matt Laird
06-20-2010, 07:54 PM
http://www.boatmateparts.com/products/Bow+Stop-tag-Bow+Stop/Bow+Stop+Large+Roller-t-55-1208BR.htm

This is the direct replacement for the boat buddy... I changed out mine and have nothad an issue launching since...
I would advice you get rear tie down straps... Boat will slide back while trailering...

1Quickdoo
06-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the help guys, got my boat wrapped and have no interest in scrubbing the front off. Autoban.. that hit looks brudal! I'd be laying on the ground crying.. Hope it's all fixed up!

bryan632
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I just installed the same thing that matt has. I had to grind off a chunk of metal that i am pretty sure the previous owner installed but it works wonderfully. I'd give that a shot.

jonyb
06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I went to the same roller that Matt posted. Much better idea IMO. Ramp angle does have a lot to do with loading, but I can launch/load on any grade now and not have a problem or have to have the driver of the truck move back and forth 5 or 6 times.

jaywidhalm
06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
For those of you that replaced it, are you using a safety chain now as a backup in case your strap breaks, or just using the strap/winch??

iwakeboard
06-24-2010, 01:38 AM
Jay, I had my boat buddy replaced with a roller and had the bow stop lowered 2" as well, to help with loading problems. I don't use a safety chain, I just use the winch and the two rear tie-downs.

jonyb
06-24-2010, 07:59 AM
I also had my trailer modified to help out with loading. I use the strap, but when I get it ready to travel on the road I also use a plastic-coated cable and a padlock, along with the Boat Buckle's on the rear. I'm big on safety when towing.

I also remove the Wet Sounds speakers from the tower, pull the fabric off the Z-5 rack, put all wakeboards in the ballast lockers, and the surfboard in the center ballast locker. I absolutely hate seeing people tow their boat with boards on the racks, whether their swiveled in or not.

TayTay
06-25-2010, 12:27 AM
I agree with the safety. When I had the boat buddy I used it, the winch, and also had a safety chain. I replaced mine with a roller from boat mate and now I used the winch and the safety chain, in addition to the transom tie downs of course.

tad2lo
07-06-2010, 09:20 PM
i have a boat buddy on my boatmate for my 98 sunsport. HATE IT. without the v-riser like my old ts6m trailer had to raise the front of the boat up as you trailer, the previous owner gouged a 1 inch hole right at the tip of the bow. i've avoided it only by having me and 2 other people lift the boat as we trailer it. it doesn't matter how deep or shallow the trailer... the boat buddy in not river-ramp friendly at all, may be ok for a nice flat lake ramp, but def not at the river. i think i'm gonna go with the bow roller and lower the mounting post 2-3 inches. any other ideas??

87SunSportMikeyD
07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
It's fine on my river (no offense). How far do you back the trailer in? Should be just a couple inches of bunks sticking out.

KY Steve
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
i think i'm gonna go with the bow roller and lower the mounting post 2-3 inches. any other ideas??

I think you will find those of us that did this are very happy we did :D

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/toolsail/Launch24/DSC04303_small.jpg

haugy
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I redid my whole trailer. New bunks, raised the bow riser up, and got rid of the boat buddy. I also ground off the sharp corners that held the boat buddy on just incase.

I've decided that even with the roller now, it's still too high for my boat. I'll be cutting off the bow roller all together, and building stop poles like the Mariah's original trailer had. This will help me load the boat no matter what anlge I'm at. And create a solid bow stop for the boat.

The winch is new, but will be adding a safety chain with hook when I do the bow change.

PIC FOR REFERENCE

http://liveimages.boatsales.com.au/boatsales/boat/dealer/bd5442863492685897751.jpg