PDA

View Full Version : Low oil not letting boat start?

KG's Supra24
06-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Is it possible that the boat woulddnt start if it had low oil pressure? It would crank but not start up. I checked the oil and it was bone dry. After filling up it started after 4 or 5 cranks. I fiddled with a couple otherthings, nothing that should have fixed it though.

Coul I have fixed the problem with oil or did I get lucky enough to get I to trailer and I need to take it in?

Is it typically for the boat to run out of oil within 77 hours?

Mani
06-20-2010, 12:44 AM
From my understanding there's really nowhere for the oil to go, unless you're burning oil rapidly, other than your bilge. It's not like it evaporates like water. My concern would be figuring out why your boat was out of oil without a noticeable leak.

michael hunter
06-20-2010, 09:19 AM
On fuel injected GM cars they do wire in the fuel pump relay to the oil sender. That way if the oil pressure is too low it will stop the fuel pump. As for the oil it should have been changed at 20 hours and again at 70 hours. Have you ever changed the oil?

tg0824SSVGG
06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Michael, not to hijack -- I had my oil changed at 20 by the dealer then I have done all
the other changes - but rather than wait for 70, I changed it at 50. THen at 100, 150, 200, 250 and so on. MUCH easier to remember when it needs to be done that way.

michael hunter
06-20-2010, 09:28 AM
You cant change too often. Damage will occur only when its neglected.

KG's Supra24
06-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I bought the boat with 200 hours in December. I have put 77 hours on it without really realizing it. I agree withthe above. I need to be changig it every 50. I honestly just didn't think about I and didn't think it would go that fast.

I agree though. It shouldn't be that dry but j couldn't find where any oil had leaked. I'll look over it again today.

What other routine maintenance do you do every 50 hours. I need to just do a 50 hour routine like you were mentioning tg

thanks for the help guys.