PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plugs on a 92 Comp & Bildge Question

blackout00
06-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I know that the boat has a plug in the center that I believe is brass. I am going to be taking my boat out of the water next weekend and wanted to dry the bilge out and wanted to make sure that I get all the plugs out. This is my first time with a boat of this style so just do not want to miss anything :)

Also, I was curious about how often others bilge pumps come on in a boat like this? Please note, my boat is stored on the water. I know I will always have some water in the bilge, but it seems like it gets to be a little more when I do a longer, higher speed run...Is this normal? I very rarely get the auto bilge to come on, unless it is very choppy and we have a run from a far part of the lake. However, when skiing or surfing I am probably just anal about it and hit the bilge every hour or so. I also am going to check my shaft packing and see if the nut may need adjusted. Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly apperciated.

gtbrault
06-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't know about the bilge question but on my 89 Comp I've got another drain plug at the rear of the boat - just above the trim plate.

blackout00
06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Ok...So it is on the rear of the boat...Right or left side?

Mani
06-21-2010, 09:39 AM
dead center, just above the wake plate.

blackout00
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
So right under the swim platform? Sorry...Just have not looked that closely...Thanks!

Mani
06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Yes, under the swim platform, at the bottom of the transom, dead center, above the wakeplate. It's the same location on pretty much every boat.

Hope that helps. :D

gtbrault
06-21-2010, 01:44 PM
It's easier to get to with the swim platform off. Might need to use an open end wrench - mine's a 9/16 I believe.

blackout00
06-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Great. Thanks for the help!

jet
06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey Blackout, I hit my bilge button 4-5 times a hour. Thats anal!! Everytime a boarder gets in they bring in alot of water and then the shaft always leaks.

blackout00
06-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Jet,

Haha...That sounds like me...I am always pulling the cover off and looking. I have a feeling I may be bringing some the "Jet Style" to my lake...I see myself getting crazy and trying to see what kind of cool stuff I can do with my comp as you have done with yours. I really like these boats and it is fun to really see what you can do with a "classic ski boat". Thanks for the responses so far...Jet how often do you repack your shaft?

jet
06-22-2010, 08:56 AM
DUDE! Never ask another man how often he packs his shaft! Not Coool. LMAO. Thanks, I just made my old girl better by upgrading her with newer ideas. My sundeck idea came from the 07' Mastercraft (direct drive) it has a small sundeck and then the rear seat can be pulled out and put on top to make a big sundeck. Cool idea. Everything else is engineered the way I would build one. Buy some extra packing and you will have to add about 3"-5" each year or just tighten it 1st to see if the drip slows down. You got a great deal on your boat, enjoy it man. Jet

blackout00
06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Fair Point on the topic of shaft packing...I thought about that after I hit the submit button. I know Jason said that Jim did the packing last spring, so I am thinking maybe some adjustment is needed. But, it sounds like we are on the same page with the bilge, so it may be fine. I just did not have a gauge for what was normal or excessive, however it sounds to be normal. I don't think I will ever have an empty bilge...Unless I pull her outta the water.

I really like the boat. Jason did a nice job with this and it really gets a lot of look on the water. We have put about 20 hours on it since purchase and love it...Thanks!

jet
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Lmao...............

mapleleaf
06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm the same with my bilge pump.....couple times an hour...Did my shaft packing (insert joke here) this spring, and now my shaft log boot is leaking(again insert joke here)....
No more smoke off the valve covers though........booya, stoked about that one!!!