PDA

View Full Version : 1989 supra classic

Dennis Avery
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello out there,
I recently saved a 1989 supra classic 20 ft from a certain and slow death, My son and I were at a local marina this spring to register our leaky fishin boat . We happened to look at the sales board for the deal of the day and there it was!!! sold as is it said, needs work it said so we talked and after about six weekends of weelen and dealen we now own it!
I have had several boats bahas, ski supremes, and with out a doubt this is
the nicest boat I have ever owned.
We checked everything out motor tranny all looked well, however the prop was gone the marina I purchased it from put a prop on it they said it would work fine!
Well we drove it last weekend and motor is awsome however there is a pretty serious vibration in it and was wondering might be prop, or porp shaft at any rate is there any place you can get parts on line,
Oh yes there was a small catch it doesnt have a trailer the marina had it in storage for the last 8 years and the owners went through a devorce and lost the boat for fees not paid.

michael hunter
06-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Dennis
Welcome to the family . You have come to the right place for help and info about your Supra. I bought my 89 sunsport classic in the spring of 89 . After 20 plus years its still a head turner. No doubt George Fowler was ahead of his time with Supra. As for parts I like Skidim they stock genuine PCM parts . I haven't bought a prop in 20 years but I am sure the guys will chime in with a recommendation. There is just one thing we are always hungry for pictures . I cant wait to see yours.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/SkiDogHHRSupraPicture009.jpg

Chachi
06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow Michael that is one clean looking boat for being an original owner! Well kept, and I hope I can do the same over the life of my boat.

Chris

87SunSportMikeyD
06-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Dennis - Welcome to the club. Congrats and thanks for saving the boat. Let see some pics! Your vibration could be coming from a prop that is even slightly out of balance, which is very common. Check ski-it-again.com for used props. I am not sure what your stock prop should be.

haugy
06-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. No pics????

As for parts, www.skidim.com has a great selection of parts from boats our age. Mine's a 90, and there are very few parts I haven't been able to get from them, plus they are very informative and knowledgable.

My guess would be the drive shaft. If the prop was gone, it would lead me to believe it had been damaged, and many times if that happens, the shaft can get damaged as well.
The first thing I would check is the prop, what is the diameter and pitch? Just because a Marina put it on, doesn't mean the know what they are doing.
Then check the driveshaft.

Check back in and let us know what you find. We've all dealt with this at one time, so I'm sure someone in here can help ya out.

jet
06-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Most of the time if you have a big vibration it is the prop. Have it looked at again. Checkout my profile pic's for good ideas. Jet

Calookin
07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I just saved this one too. It is an 89 Supra Classic I think with a 351 and 71C(that is broken), I have just gotten a 72C to replace it but I see that the rear coupler is different and will not bolt up to existing shaft coupler. Any Suggestions? Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=20271&id=100000521323296&l=7d6c9a6cb3

saltare inverts
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Soo Michael H, wanna sell your boat?