PDA

View Full Version : Port side extra weight? why?

Fman
06-22-2010, 01:13 AM
On my '08 22, I always seem to have to add extra weight to the port side of the rear ski compartment to get an equal clean wake at about 22 MPH. Does anyone else experience this? I cant figure out why this happens, but I usally need an extra 20-25% more weight on the port side to clean up the lip.

Skylar18
06-22-2010, 05:50 AM
Mine is the same way. I assumed it is because of which way the prop is rotating.

KG's Supra24
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I also have the same problem. For wakeboarding, I always have to make sure someone is sitting in the rear facing seat. Maybe even a person in front of them on the rear bench. Or like you said, add more weight.

tg0824SSVGG
06-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Mine too Travis - it's likely the prop as someone suggested. I seriously doubt that 2 batteries and my tool boxes weigh more than the driver .... (DOH!)

KG's Supra24
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I think i might have screwed this up ... port, stern, upside, downside, right side, left side, green side, red side ..

I feel like my boat always needs more weight on the drivers side, the green side, the right side. Adding a big sub box did help though. :)

iwakeboard
06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Haha I was frustrated by this same problem this weekend! I started draining the starboard side and started adding more to the port side to try to offset it. I don't know why it does it.

Fman
06-22-2010, 11:09 AM
I also have the same problem. For wakeboarding, I always have to make sure someone is sitting in the rear facing seat. Maybe even a person in front of them on the rear bench. Or like you said, add more weight.

Thats interesting, you add more weight to the drivers side, and I have to add more weight to the passenger side. Its not a huge problem, I wonder if the 14 pitch wakeboard prop pulls harder than a 17/19 pitch and causes this to happen?

Having the new VISION would be very nice to set the % of water in each bag, not having the gauges makes this a little bit more of a hassle.

Diggs
06-22-2010, 11:14 AM
fman...
the vision is nice for that, but all it is really telling you is based upon a timer.... if you have your bags set to run for 5 mins it will state 80% full after 4 mins.

I have had a few 22V (22SSV) and have experienced a bit of the same and get more wash/lip on my toe side. I have attributed most of that to prop roatation or offset of the rudder. You can counteract it with speed and proper weight distribution. Always Always Always make sure you burp your bags regularly. If you are not doing this and just visually looking and feeling that your bags are full you might be surprised. They will carry air and your bags might not be full and making this problem worse. Especially on the front bag.

KG's Supra24
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
I rarely burp mine. I also usually surf first so i am brining one sac down while i bring the other up. My comments above are stictly from a feel and see test.

I have the 14.25x14 prop if you are interested and think that might make a difference. I would think my sub (on drivers side) that is in a huge box would counteract the batteries and 4 amps on the passenger side but it may be heavier. The cooloer full of cold beverages (on the passenger side) may be the reason for me needing to add to the driver side. It is usually full to the brim. :)

iwakeboard
06-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I always burp my bags, the front one is really easy to burp because you can lift that center bow cushion and just let the air out. I burp the back bags when the back bench seats start to pop up.

Fman
06-22-2010, 11:22 PM
fman...
the vision is nice for that, but all it is really telling you is based upon a timer.... if you have your bags set to run for 5 mins it will state 80% full after 4 mins.

I have had a few 22V (22SSV) and have experienced a bit of the same and get more wash/lip on my toe side. I have attributed most of that to prop roatation or offset of the rudder. You can counteract it with speed and proper weight distribution. Always Always Always make sure you burp your bags regularly. If you are not doing this and just visually looking and feeling that your bags are full you might be surprised. They will carry air and your bags might not be full and making this problem worse. Especially on the front bag.

Hi Diggs,

Thanks for the info.... When I redesgined my ballast fill system I vented all my bags to help eliminate the air pockets, it seems to help quite a bit. But I definitely need more weight on the port side to clean up the lip at 22 MPH, wakeplate at about 1/2. 22 is about all I can handle on the wakeboard, if I go any faster my back/legs begin to remind me I am not 23 years old anymore!

My BIL's X-15 has the same issue, he says he has to move peope around depending who is in the boat.

Diggs
06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Might just be me, but I don't think you can really run the new 22SSV at 22MPH unless you are unweighted or you are running a very short line. Most of the experience I have had with these you need to get to 23.5 mph to 25MPH (depending on weight and line length). Fman, what line lenght are you running?

Fman
06-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Might just be me, but I don't think you can really run the new 22SSV at 22MPH unless you are unweighted or you are running a very short line. Most of the experience I have had with these you need to get to 23.5 mph to 25MPH (depending on weight and line length). Fman, what line lenght are you running?

I believe we are at about 65', and I was considering trying to just fill the front 400 lb ski locker bag, and not fill any of the rear bags to see if this would help clean up the wake a little more. I dont have the 1100 lb front sac, because I dont have the playpen seating in front (walk through). Did you ever try this on your 22? I was wakeboarding at 22.4 last trip out and even the 1/2 mile an hour more made a little difference.

Diggs
06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
fman
if you bump your line out to even 70' you can speed the boat up and you won't feel the difference. I would say 23 MPH will feel the same at 70' and 75' will feel the same at about 24 mph. Try it, you might like it... Gives you a lot more space to cut and you won't feel like you are going as fast.

jaywidhalm
06-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Fman, as you know we have the same boat...and of course typically the same issues. My port side wake has the same issue. I am also running about 65' of line at around 22 MPH. I changed my wakeplate from 50% to 40% and that helped some too. I am not running with any ballast right now though. It is my understaning it is from both prop rotation and offset rudder. I just try to move people in the boat a little to try to get it even.

Fman
06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Fman, as you know we have the same boat...and of course typically the same issues. My port side wake has the same issue. I am also running about 65' of line at around 22 MPH. I changed my wakeplate from 50% to 40% and that helped some too. I am not running with any ballast right now though. It is my understaning it is from both prop rotation and offset rudder. I just try to move people in the boat a little to try to get it even.

Jay,

I just checked my rope length, and I was at 70', 22.4 MPH, and wakeplate was about 1/2, the wake was very large and good but a little foamy on the port side. I think I might try filling the center 400, and about 25% of the port side, and nothing on the starbird locker to see what happens. After we filled a little more in the port side the wake was money, just took a little dialing in. I know these boats like a lot of bow weight, which I am lacking because of the walk thru bow and limited 400 lb sac. I might be overdoing it with too much ski locker ballast.

My brother in law was towing me, who has the '07 X-15 and he even commented on how large and nice of a wake the boat throws, he also mentioned it plained out faster than his X-15 which is probably because of the 14 pitch prop. He also has to move people around in his MC to adjust the wake, I think its pretty common with all boats. Number of people in the boat also plays into affect.

How is the size of the wake with no ballast filled?

jaywidhalm
06-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Once I moved my wakeplate up a bit more (I think I am at 40%) I am pleased with it...keep in mind however I am not anywhere near pro or anything. I feel like I can get plenty of air though, clear the wake no problem, so I guess I can't complain. I also slalom ski, so I definately like the flexibility without having to drain and fill bags. It is a quick transition, but I do plan on adding ballast a little at a time. Hopefully next year I will have an integrated system like yours!