PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Lock

22ssvLaunchDAWG
06-22-2010, 01:10 PM
What's Supra gonna do when a boat has Vapor Lock at the WWA Wakebord World Championships. Do you think they will just pour cold water on fuel pump or sit and wait til it cools down?

tg0824SSVGG
06-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't think the newer boats have the problem since they are putting in the 2nd fuel pump ... what year us your boat?

tg0824SSVGG
06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
And, I wonder if it's really just Skiers Choice - or if this is actually an Indmar issue? (the engine people)

SZEH
06-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I was having the vapor lock issue starting just last summer. I have a 2006 21V with the 340hp and in the middle of summer it started to vapor lock. I was discussing the issue with my dealer Atlanta Marine and one of the mechanics said that it was the eythanol breaking down the fuel filter and not allowing enough fuel to pass. Less fuel in the fuel pump made it easier to vapor lock.

I thought he was crazy and thought this was just a quick dealer fix to dodge the real problem. I had just started looking into adding a low pressure pump. Well, I changed the fuel filter and have not had the vapor lock issue happen again. Even this past Saturday...pulling wake boarders with full tanks and 10 people in the boat. The engine temp would rise a little bit to close to 180, but settle back down once I backed off the throttle, but never vapor locked and the air temp was 95.

I'm not saying the fuel filter is going to fix every issue, but it seems to have fixed mine. That was the first time I had changed the fuel filter since I bought the boat new. I still keep a spray bottle for water in the boat just in case, but so far so good!

Just thought I'd toss that out there.

jonyb
06-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm going to assume it's an Indmar issue, because the pump is fixed on the engine block. I've never been wrong though.... j/p.

What are they going to do? I don't know, what did they do in the past?

Fman
06-22-2010, 11:08 PM
What's Supra gonna do when a boat has Vapor Lock at the WWA Wakebord World Championships. Do you think they will just pour cold water on fuel pump or sit and wait til it cools down?

In '08 Indmar added a second fuel pump to help with this problem, and I believe the 2010's are using the in-tank fuel pumps like Mastercraft. My '08 has never had any vapor locking problems, even in 113 degree heat. (knock on wood, again....)

jonyb
06-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Mine has had the vaporlocking problem since I bought it, but the second fuel pump was installed a few months ago. i've only had the boat out twice, but it was pretty hot both days. Now I can't get back in it until August.

sniperside
08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
my 08 21V which CAME with dual fuel pumps (high and low) vapor locks consistently in the hot summers. i replace my fuel filter per manual schedule and can't believe that supra still didn't get this right (2nd time around). i don't care if indmar ships the fuel pump on the block. it's SC's responsibility to integrate the package properly and give you a FULLY functional fuel delivery system

regardless, my high-pressure pump just FAILED with 270 hours on the boat and now warranty is taking care of it. WHAT a HASSLE!!!

KG's Supra24
08-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I experienced this for the first time last weekend. Not sure if it is coincidence or not but it is also the first time I filled up at a station with ethanol. it seems like using non ethanol might lower your chances of it happening.

I poured a bottle of water from the cooler on the fuel pump and was good to go.

ScottnAz
08-18-2010, 11:21 PM
I can understand the problem is heightened with different grades of fuel.
In past years, I filled up with 89 octane gas and had zero issues with vapor locking. For some reason, earlier this season I was filling with 92 octance and started having problems with vapor lock, realized I switched fuel grades, and since switching back to 89, no problems.

jdub667
08-19-2010, 12:01 AM
ive had about 3 times this summer mine vapor locked but it was after a long surf or board sessions then park next to the house boat and the sun beating on the boat, my cure so far is just leave the blower on and pull open the engine cover after long runs seems to help. also run higer octane not sure if this helps but makes me feel better.

oward1202
08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Most of the comments on here are from newer boat owners. I have an 85 Supra comp and I believe I am experiencing vapor lock on a regular basis. I just bought the boat this year so I am still learning little things about it. I also have a new impeller on the way to put in it. My question is, am I really having vapor lock or some other issue? The fires and runs great when cold, but after running for a while and shutting it off, it will not start right back up. What do you guys think?

tg0824SSVGG
08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I can't say for sure, but in an article that I just posted on this site (grabbed from elsewhere, I didn't write it) - it says a lot of people are seeing issues they think are
vapor lock, but might really be do to fuel with ethanol (either currently being used,
or having sat in the tank)

It's worth thinking about, https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=7467