PDA

View Full Version : leaking rudder packing

jalax23
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I have a 1988 supra sunsport. Last year I noticed the boat would fill with water overnight. I first though it was the prop shaft packing and I replaced it. This year I put the boat in the water last weekend and had to take it right back out. Water was coming up through the top of the rudder sleeve. Today I was able to take everything apart I was hoping I would be able to replace the o rings and put it all back together. The sleeve looks like it has two metal shelves that would normally hold the o rings at the top of the sleeve then it necks down to the o. d. of the rudder at the bottom it looks like there should be some time of bushing and a ring clip of some sort but nothing was there when I took it apart. The orings where nonexistent and the metal shelves are badly deteriorated. I do not know my options the metal shelves for the orings looked like they may have been pressed in I do not know if they can be replaced or am I stuck buying an entire rudder assembly to fix my problem.

Any help would be great. I have had this boat for 4 years now I am the second owner. I can’t wait to get it into the water and be able to keep it there.

bryan632
06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I don't have any helpful info for you but I was wondering if you could post a few pics of this process up. I have an 88 sunsport and my rudder is also leaking. any pics could be a lot of help. i may be able to give you some advice when i dig into it this weekend..

jalax23
06-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Here is what I have found out. You can buy the part to replace the two metal rings that the rubber orings sit on however I talked at length with the customer service guy for supra and he said it is a bad design. They have new set ups that you can use your existing rudder it’s basically a sleeve that comes with the orings and everything already together. I will try and put some pictures up when I get the new parts the boat is up in NH at the parent’s lake house and I am in mass. Call 1 800 320 2779 follow the prompts for parts. Or you should be able to order parts at your local supra boat shop. The part I needed was around 140 bucks. The biggest thing once you get everything back in order is to keep everything lubed with the grease fittings. Best case is yours is not as bad as mine and you will just need to replace the two rubber orings and slap it back together. Taking the rudder apart is not hard. The part that is a pain is getting the arm at the top of the rudder off. There is a key that holds everything together after that the rudder falls out form the bottom and 4 bolts the rest comes apart depending on how strong the silicone is around the whole thing you may need to do a little prying to get it off. I slid a small putty knife in to break the silicone bond.

bryan632
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM
What lakes do you run in Mass? I am in Westfield (Exit 3 on the pike) and run Lake Congamond and Otis Reservoir most of the time. We are also hitting up Lake Sunapee NH for the 4th. Not sure if you can answer this, but is there on-lake camping there? Anyways, thanks for the advice on the rudder. Hopefully it comes together and if you need any help in the future and are in western Mass, I might be able to help you turn some wrenches.

jalax23
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I am in salem ma my buddie has a 87 mastercraft prostar 190 we run at lake attitash in amesbury. Recently the boat has been up on bow lake in NH where my parents live. they have a dock and it is only alittle further than i would go anyways. As far as sunapee my buddie used to live on lake. I will ask him and get back to you.

bryan632
06-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks a ton. hopefully they allow camping because we are running low on options.

jalax23
06-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks a ton. hopefully they allow camping because we are running low on options.

There is camping on sunapee the only place i know if is state beach. you would have to call and make reservations and they do not have acomidations for boats that i know of. sorry if this is not a help.