PDA

View Full Version : steering cable..

mapleleaf
06-23-2010, 09:18 PM
So I rePLACED my steering cable yesterday, and clamp block. I thought this would improve the ease in my steering...it hasn't, Definitely don't have any play in the wheel anymore which is great, but would like the stiffness to go away. Any thoughts???

Supra-in-steamboat
06-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Have you gotten to those zirc grease fittings in the back by the rudder? There are two back there- one of which requires a 90degree fitting. I have a new helm/ cable etc... but still grease those fittings regularly. I grease the helm assembly behind the steering wheel as well. Hope this helps and good luck.

csuggs
06-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Grease! :)

mapleleaf
06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
couldn't find grease fittings at rudder, but will add some to the support tube at the clamp block.
How about at the helm??? how do I get in there??? Wind the cable back out , load w/grease and wind back in????New cable came with a quick connect at the helm.....

Supra-in-steamboat
06-24-2010, 10:12 AM
If you have the same zirc fittings, they are kindof a PITA to access. With the center floor board/s out- I still have to get on my stomach and almost crawl in the hole. The fitting that requires the 90degree adatper is the most forward. In this pic follow the cable towards the back. Before it enters under the gas tank it passes thru a bracing assembly.(lacking tech term) The fitting is under this assembly. The other one is on the top of the rudder itself- just a bit further back. I will try to snap some pics today.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
As far as the helm... I look up at the wheel from underneath. There is a portion of exposed cable that pertrudes in and out of the helm assembly.( mine is a Teleflex i think- Telasomething) I grease that portion of cable while turning the wheel. This seems to keep the action at the wheel to one finger all year long.
This works for me- I hope it does for you. As far as the cable removal to lube??? I had the seller replace the cable as a condition of sale. Dealer did it so I have nothing on that one. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mapleleaf
06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks Steamer, Gonna go buy a grease gun and try it, my rudder is also a commando crawl to get at.....Will let you know how I make out.....

jzelt
06-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I put 50W oil on the exposed part or the steering column at the rudder side.
(Turn the wheel so it is all the way exposed).
Put a few squirts along it and then rub it along the shaft. Then turn the wheel in and out a few times.