PDA

View Full Version : How to replace a circuit breaker???

Sluggo
06-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Can someone give me a quick description on how to replace a circuit breaker in the main panel under the dash? For example, do you just take the flat plate off to access or the whole plastic housing? How do you know what terminals up and down the sides go to what breaker?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

jonyb
06-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Are you talking about the one that powers everything at the helm? If it's that one, it doesn't matter what side you use.

Sluggo
06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
yes, there is large black box with a plastic cover with 10-12 circuit breaker buttons. Most are labeled with a function, but a couple just say ACC or something like that. Has anyone replaced on of those breakers in that box and what did you have to take apart to do it? Special tools? I am looking at just re-wiring my tower lights since I can't trace down the source cable. I looked in the manual, but could not find a amp rating on the lights. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dave

jonyb
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Okay, not what I was thinking about.

Sluggo
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I guess I should have taken pictures, but to access the breakers in this box, both the plastic housing and panel needed to be removed. The plastic housing had to come off the wall to make the screw and nut reachable to get the panel off and expose the breakers. The breakers were connected via spade connectors and it was easy to test that they were all operational, IE, all had power flowing through them. Hardest part was getting the nuts back on the screws to secure the panel back in place. A little tape on the index finger was enough to position in place and get it started. Now back to finding the source of power for my tower lights, ahhhh.