PDA

View Full Version : Running Warmer

TX skier
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Like a lot of folks, the engine is running warmer. It must be when The Captain says it seems hotter in the back.

Anyway, replaced the impeller last summer. I thought I got most of the old pieces out. If I did not, what is the best way to do it? When I go to the lake next, I am going to put in another new impeller and do the thermostat. It has always stayed right at 160, and now is moving above it. Others have said this temp is OK, but it changed, so there must be something going on.

Thanks,
David
1999 Santera w/Indmar

TX skier
06-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Thoughts, ideas????

logan
08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
depends on how much its moving but sometimes you can see some fluctuation in the gauge. If your second guessing it open the hatch and grab the manifold.

duncan

rludtke
08-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I agree with Duncan. Hot exhaust manifolds seem to be the best indicator of failing impellor. If you can't touch them, then they are too hot.

If your thermostat is old, it may not be functioning right either. They seem to get stuck, probably from corrosion or mineral build up.

TX skier
08-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I cleaned out the oil cooler, and that seemed to help. I think I will go ahead and do the thermostat.

Thanks for the help.

David

fastab
08-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Do you have a water strainer on the unit, if so there is a o-ring on the bowl of the strainer if this is gone or bad it can suck air in and this can also cause the temps to go up. It never hurts to have a new impeller, while your replacing it check the condition of the housing and plate sand and grit can wear these pieces as well. They need to be flat and smooth to work 100%.