PDA

View Full Version : Driver can't hear ... stereo

tg0824SSVGG
06-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey guys,

The stereo is NOT setup for the driver to be able to hear. I have to turn everything up so loud that the passengers complain it's too loud (I AM a little hard of hearing, but not a lot).

I think the helm is in a dead zone for sound, but don't have any ideas about
what I should do about it.

Has anyone done anything to put more sound to the driver?

Todd

KG's Supra24
06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I can't say i have the issue. I would think you could do something quick and easy as far as speakers go, though. I'm sure others would advise differently but if you dont have anything working from the head unit you could easily just run two speakers from it and put them right under/beside you. Just a thought.

Matt Laird
06-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Todd if you look back on my post about my boat, "jl wetsounds supra" I added two 6.5s to the walkway from the bow.. They sound great in the drivers seat...

Can't post pics from my Iphone...

tg0824SSVGG
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey Matt, I see that in the one photo -- I don't have those pads that you do,
I would have to drill some monster holes in the glass.

Also - I would want this to be controlled by the WS-420, so just going off the head
unit wouldn't work for that ... Hmm - also not sure where I would power them from
on the Kicker Amps that I have.

John - you got any thoughts? (I still have all Kicker (stock) stuff in here -- at least for now).

Todd

KG's Supra24
06-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I still have all Kicker (stock) stuff in here -- at least for now

This may be a place to start. :)

I put the polk db's in the cockpit and rewired from the amp so all of those speakers are actually amped properly. If you haven't touched your stereo then it is likely not properly configured. You could also go with some better in-boats and that would def solve the problem.

I can turn off all my in-boat speakers and run towers only and not have a problem hearing the music. I also took the cheaper route here by dropping in Bullet coaxials into the existing roswell speaker/light combo.

KG's Supra24
06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Can't post pics from my Iphone...

uhmmm .. i think someone somewhere is working on this ...? :)

Diggs
06-25-2010, 11:30 AM
you could probably mount a speaker in the dash pointing up at the windshield, similar to Malibus too....

Memmer99
06-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I had the same issue and ended up putting a pair of tweeters on the driver and passanger side dash pointing up at the window. Since I have my bass under the helm it sounds real good. Almost a little too loud at times.

tg0824SSVGG
06-25-2010, 01:29 PM
KG,

I actually think the in-boat is hooked up correctly. I did change my tower speaker wiring because it was done incorrectly -

If I turn on the towers, I can hear them - but that's usually when the other people in the boat get upset because it's too loud for them to talk.

In my 08 24SSV, I am not even sure I have room for TWEETERS under the dash,
and certainly not room for speakers ... it's really tight in there.

tg0824SSVGG
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
KG, the admin told me that tapatalk is on the list for when he next maintains the
site, but I haven't heard back from him in a LONG time.

jonyb
06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Going off the head unit is not a good idea. You'll have no control over them, so when you turn the radio up, the speakers will start distorting long before you get the other speakers turned up.

Todd, have you tried tuning your stereo different? Can you not hear them because they're not loud enough, or are people blocking the speakers. I've got 4 of the XS-650's in that area of my boat, just OEM replacements, and they're plenty loud. I dont' see where you get that yours aren't loud.

If you haven't tuned it like I said above, then SC set it up, and you've heard me rant about SC and stereo setups. You'll more than likely need to just turn the gain up a little, or turn something else down.

I had a customer (with more money than sense) that said only his tower speakers were playing. This is in a Centurion Enzo with a high dollar (waste of money) Skylon stereo. It had 3 Kicker Marine 350.4 amps. Talk about a waste, there was a 15" sub in there that barely had enough power to even move the cone. The funny thing is that everything and all speakers worked like they should. Someone had gotten in there and turned the gains on the tower speaker amp all the way up. So when the head unit got to 10 (it goes to 45), the towers were starting to clip, and the other speakers were barely even playing.

There's nowhere else to install speakers in your boat, unless you put them under the helm like they did in the new Wet Sounds Centurion, but IMO, that looks gaudy. I don't like the idea of speakers above the playpen either. I just can't see how you could still open up that compartment and not hit the speakers when they're mounted there, plus they can't sound good because you'd have the left side speaker pointed right at your ear, kind of like in the 88-94 Chevy trucks that had a 4X6 3" away from the drivers ear in the cab corner.

Start by adjusting the gain, then come back.

Fman
06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Todd, turn up your hearing aid and check the batteries! I thought you mentioned you are using one in each ear now, you should be all dialed in! :p

I have the stock kicker 6.5" speakers (6) in the boat and with the WS-420 it seems to be plenty loud for myself and passengers. Most of the time when towing skiers, I just run the tower speakers/subwoofer and completely mute out of the 6 boat speakers.

tg0824SSVGG
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
John,

I can get the in-boats plenty loud -- and then I can hear them -- Perhaps
I "am" just being blocked by the passengers, because when I turn it loud enough
that "I" can hear, that's when they complain.

Travis, What? Did you say something? Huh? (smarta$$) --

jonyb
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Sounds like they need to find a new place to sit.

docdrs
06-27-2010, 07:56 PM
just give them earplugs...love my ws420 john ...thanks

Skylar18
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Todd,

I had the same problem as you. That is why I put the bow speakers on their own volume control. I can play the back of the boat and tower speakers as loud as I want, and the "older" ladies can sit up front in relative quiet if they desire.

No arguments ever on the boat about volume anymore. Probably saved my marriage......