PDA

View Full Version : shaft log boot replacement

mapleleaf
06-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Looks like I've gotta a leak coming from my very worn shaft log boot ( Ithink that's what its called) and will need to replace it. Does the drive shaft have to come off for this to be done?????

wotan2525
06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm assuming you've got a dripless system on there? Drive shaft may not need to be completely removed, but you're going to have to remove the coupler from the tranny, pull the coupler and then pull the propshaft out enough to pull off the old pieces and install the new ones.

Okie Boarder
06-25-2010, 01:49 PM
wotan is right, you at least need to seperate the drive shaft from the coupler so you can get the boot (gland) off.

mapleleaf
06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Figured as much, No its not a dripless, Regular flax packing on shaft(new last month) and now the old rubber boot with the 4 gear clamps is leaking. Not enough to wreck my vacation, but will need to be addressed when i get home....Distance from tranny to shaft log on this Conbrio is short so I'm assuming I'll just replace what's there rather than look for an upgrade......

Okie Boarder
06-25-2010, 02:12 PM
You can buy the hose from DIM. I think they sell it in a 6" length.

mapleleaf
06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I wonder if its 1 3/4" like the hose i used to replace on the front of the motor....I've got about 10" of that left......Gonna have a look.
When I disconnect the drive shaft it'll just slide back towards the transom????
And I guess I'm backing off the packing nut and resetting when I 'm done?? Why didn't I replace this all at once, I knew it was going to need it!!!!

wakejmpr
06-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I changed out the actual prop shaft a few days ago and the only way I can see getting to that log is to remove the transfer case and if your that far it's only probably another 10 min more to pull the shaft out which would make replacing the seal easier. Have some pics if your interested

mapleleaf
06-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Pics would be great.....Since the boat's in a hoist I'm thinking I'd like to do the repair today or tomorrow (have left over 1 3/4" hose) Just wondering how difficult things get once the drive shaft coupler is unbolted. Do I need any special tools to remove coupler from drive shaft?

Okie Boarder
06-28-2010, 04:59 PM
It depends on what your coupler style is. Seems like there are a few styles out there. Usually they are keyed somehow and bolted to the coupler. You should be able to disconnect the shaft from the coupler and get enough room to get the gland off. If not, you will have to remove the prop.