PDA

View Full Version : shaft log to hull....

mapleleaf
06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Upon closer inspection its not the shaft boot, its actually leaking where the log passes through the hull. I hope I don't get too many frowns for my temp repair.....
Planning on cleaning up the cracking sealant around shaft log and sealing with 4200 until I get home, then I don't know???
How were these originally sealed? I do have some spider scracks in the bilge paint around the log, but the leak is specifically where the metal meets the hull...How do I fix????

mapleleaf
06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Ok 3M 4200 worked wher the log meets the hull, but now I have a couple spider cracks leaking all around the log. Haven't been under the boat yet to look, but I'm going to have to do something about this. None of them are leaking anymore than a packing nut, so the bilge pump is handling them fine, along with a float switch I installed today.
I'M ASSUMING that adding a couple layers of fiberglass is the solution for the bilge side, but what do i do to the exterior of the hull?? Fiberglass virgin here, any hep is greatly appreciated.....