PDA

View Full Version : Leaving engine in during rebuild?

Suprafreak
06-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Hello all! I am new but have been doing a ton of reading past posts as I just started a rebuild of my '86 comp. I was hoping to get away with just replacing the floor but as I got into it, I will need to go all the way down to the stringers. So here is my question - do I have to take the engine out to take the cap off? It is sitting on a trailer but I don't have an engine lift. I am afraid that if I take the cap off, there won't be enough stability to support the engine in the boat. The engine has already been rebuilt and is looking nice. Would prefer not to mess with it if I don't have to. Thanks!!

michael hunter
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
The engine is bolted to two of the stringers you are going to replace. You can rent an engine crane or a big tree will work. Sorry but there is no easy way to do it.

Okie Boarder
06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
What he said ^^^ ;-)

wotan2525
06-29-2010, 01:58 PM
I wasn't able to find a cherry picker with enough reach and height to do the job... you really need either a gantry style crane lift, a fork lift with long forks or another option. the first time my engine was out I used a chain hoist mounted high up on some reinforced celing joices in a friends garage. It worked fine but we had to let all the air out of the trailer tires to get enough clearance. Second time I did it I used a boom-truck crane that a friend had bought for some reason.... only hard part was that the truck was never used and didn't have any brakes.... it made for an interesting 50 mile drive!

haugy
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
If any of your buddies have a two-post lift like you see in an auto shop, that will work too. That's what I use.

Okie Boarder
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
You can also build something like a two post or an a-frame that would be stout enough to lift the engine with. How are you going to lift off the top cap?

Mani
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
I used a cherry picker, but had to remove one of the trailer tires, to get the boom far enough into the boat. I also had to use a 9X2 to leverage it out, because it still needed another 2" to clear the gunwales. That was with the boom fully raised and as close to the engine as possible.

The mechanic I employed to reseat everything, used a chain hoist and an A frame.

Suprafreak
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Well shoot. Thanks for all the suggestions. We don't really have access to a fork lift or other large peice of equipment. I think, though, we may end up contracting out the stringers once we get the foam out and the cap off as it may be worth the $$ to have someone with the right equipment get the engine out and do a decent job on them. I think the cap is light enough that 5 or 6 guys can lift it up - someone had mentioned that on one of the forums. I will double check to be sure though, before I promise the beer and pizza!

haugy
06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
If they say 6, get 8. Better to be prepared than have some twisting and flexing done to it, or worse they drop it.

Okie Boarder
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Plan on 6 people to lift the cap and ways to secure it up in the air or as the lifting progresses and you'll be fine. Check around at local boat repair facilities and see if they will pull the engine for you an put it on some sort of crate you can transport home. The engine should probably come out before removing the top cap.

riveredge
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
where are you located? Maybe a forum member would be kind enough to lend a hand or piece of equipment to lift out the engine, if you're close by to someone? I would if you're near enough to me... I pulled my engine just last night!

Suprafreak
07-01-2010, 10:30 PM
OK, 6 it is. Thinking we might take it with out to the family farm where we are all meeting for the 4th. We have a tractor out there I am wondering if we can use the lift to rig a chain and lift the engine out. If not, having a neighbor help would be plenty appreciated :). We are in McKinney, TX - north Dallas.