PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Problem

darryl1860
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Looking for some help with my ballast. I have an 07 GG. Great boat, except for the ballast. Hopefully this coming off season I'll upgrade. But for now I have a problem I really some help with. My center bag won't fill. At first I thought it was the switch, replaced that and still nothing. I get the lights on the switch but nothing the pump will not turn on when I go to fill it. The left and right work fine. When I fill either the left or right I get water in the center. So, I manually flipped the swith on the sprinkler-value to keep it from filling. However, I can't empty what was in there either.

I also checked the fuses. Yes, the center fuse was blown. So, I replaced that and thought for sure I had it solved. Nope, same thing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

kodybyron
07-01-2010, 05:49 PM
ok i had the same problem...your pump is prolly frozen up. I took off the 4 small screws (dont drop them!!!) on my front tsunami pump and took a small screw driver and turned the lil windmill inside (you'll see it . its prolly white) after that i hit the switch and bammm!
Try that..if that dont work look at your wires connected to pump..mine is kinda worn and i have to move the wires sometime to get it to kick on. lemme know ! good luck

jonyb
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Rip it all out and build it the way it's supposed to be built, not with sprinkler parts from your yard. Mine's never worked right.

tbone0190
07-01-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm interested to hear what works for you. I was late winterizing last season, and did it half a**. Needless to say I have a few problems this year to deal with. None of my pumps worked on the first outing. Switch lights come on, but nothing from the pumps including the lift pump.

jonyb - What do you recommend to replace them with if it comes down to replacement.

Thanks Trent

Fman
07-02-2010, 01:48 AM
I'm interested to hear what works for you. I was late winterizing last season, and did it half a**. Needless to say I have a few problems this year to deal with. None of my pumps worked on the first outing. Switch lights come on, but nothing from the pumps including the lift pump.

jonyb - What do you recommend to replace them with if it comes down to replacement.

Thanks Trent

Not trying to take over your thread, but I did this modification last year and it has been working flawlessly for a year now. Just got back from the lake today with zero problems again with the ballast/fill drain. Well worth the investment if you use your ballast system often and dont want anymore headaches. That sprinkler system never worked from day one on my '08, very poor design.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4595

jonyb
07-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I was going to use 4 Jabsco pumps and build it myself, but right now I really just don't have the money. SC was going to help, but it was still more money than I could afford at that time. I'll be off work for a total of 6 months this year, so it's not like I can just spend it like there's no tomorrow.

darryl1860
07-02-2010, 09:06 AM
The pump works for the rear ballasts but not the center. I suppose my next step is to check the solenoid on the "sprinkler" valve. I plan to upgrade it over the winter. It really is a lousy, and cheap, way that Supra did their ballast system. I was glad to hear that they've upgraded the newer boats. Too bad that doesn't help me. I'll post it the solenoid solves my problem.
Thx.

jonyb
07-02-2010, 11:01 AM
You can swap solenoids, or even replace the one that's bad, but it's all just gonna happen again. have you checked out what it consists of? there's 1 intake that goes to a manifold. That manifold feeds 3 sprinkler valves (that can be bought at a hardware store). Each switch turns the pump on, but also depending on the switch opens the sprinkler valve to allow water to flow to the bag. Sometimes these valves get trash in them, or just quit working. They belong in the ground, not in a boat. to troubleshoot, you can swap the valves around to see if that moves the problem to another area.

In my boat, I just have to isolate the water from the intake valve because like I said, my crap never works right and I'm just tired of messing with it.

darryl1860
07-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Yes, going to try swapping the solenoids today to see if that is the problem. Someone else also said to make sure the solenoid was not loose. Evidently if you loosen them a quarter turn the close...or something like that.

darryl1860
07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
The solenoid was the problem. After really looking at the ballast system is truly is hokey. My plan is to replace it during this upcoming off-season. Thanks for all the assistance.

cigars n scotch
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I have a 2008 21v that I just got recently. I've only been out on it 3 times but....for some reason my left rear locker bag will not drain all of the way. It fills completely full fine but will only drain about half way or a little less. I can't seem to get it to drain fully. Anyone have any ideas? Is the problem because of the sprinkler valve system SC used?

*Disclaimer: I am not an expert mechanical person. I have limited knowledge and experience working on motors and such. You'll have to use layman's terms if you try to explain anything or help out.

I have family members and friends that are all the mechanical gurus that help out. I'm hoping my buddy can take a look soon. I'm still learning my boat obviously.

jzelt
07-07-2010, 08:19 AM
When we are draining our bags, Admiral controls the switches at the helm. I stand on the swim platform. As the bags get less water (1/4 left in them) I gently lift the bow side and pull toward the stern so all the water runs to the drain line. This gets most of the water out. I think others have built a plywood style platform that has slope to it and put the bags on it.

I don't worry about what is left until the end of summer. Then I will disconnect the bags and drain and store.

cigars n scotch
07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah I wasn't to worried about the leftover water except it was quite a bit. (and it's extra weight to trailer the boat with) The right starboard side drains fine, so I found it odd that the port would not. Perhaps I will try your trick and pick up the bow side of the bag to ensure all of the water is forced toward the drain hoses in the stern. Next year I'll perform the ballast pump upgrade with the tsunami's since the majority opinion on the sprinkler valve system is "they suck!"

Thanks jzelt.

jonyb
07-07-2010, 11:55 PM
The ballast pump upgrade won't have anything to do with the dumping of the bags. There are 3 separate livewell pumps that pump the water out.

I've built a set of ramps for the bags in my compartments. When the pumps work right, all the water comes out of the bags.

Fman
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I also did this which helps drain about 95%, would also recommend the ramps that John made to make it even more efficient.... this setup is also nice if you ever need to replace a pump its readily accessible and it also keeps the pumps out of the hot engine compartment.

cigars n scotch
07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I also did this which helps drain about 95%, would also recommend the ramps that John made to make it even more efficient.... this setup is also nice if you ever need to replace a pump its readily accessible and it also keeps the pumps out of the hot engine compartment.

FMAN, so you added additional Tsunami pumps to the drain hose to get it to drain better? (i think that is what I am seeing in your pics).

Fman
07-10-2010, 12:24 PM
FMAN, so you added additional Tsunami pumps to the drain hose to get it to drain better? (i think that is what I am seeing in your pics).

What I did was replace the 750 RULEs with 800 Tsunamis and placed the pump directly off the bags. There is still only one pump for each bag to drain. Your rule pump right now is located in the engine compartment area. Having the pumps directly off the bags seems to help drain them a little more efficiently, and as I mentioned makes it easy to replace and keeps them out of the hot engine compartment. I went to this system because it seems to prime much easier being closer to bags. I was having problems with it loosing prime with the stock system.

Building the ramps would also be recommended, I still cant get 100% of the water out.... probably around 90-95% will drain out right now. At the end of the day I do have to lift the bags and get the remaining water out.

flygy
01-29-2011, 01:40 AM
You can swap solenoids, or even replace the one that's bad, but it's all just gonna happen again. have you checked out what it consists of? there's 1 intake that goes to a manifold. That manifold feeds 3 sprinkler valves (that can be bought at a hardware store). Each switch turns the pump on, but also depending on the switch opens the sprinkler valve to allow water to flow to the bag. Sometimes these valves get trash in them, or just quit working. They belong in the ground, not in a boat. to troubleshoot, you can swap the valves around to see if that moves the problem to another area.

In my boat, I just have to isolate the water from the intake valve because like I said, my crap never works right and I'm just tired of messing with it.

I have an 04 GG and my right rear will fill but not drain. Any quick things to check? Where is the solenoid?

jonyb
01-29-2011, 04:38 PM
For dumping it should have its own pump, which would be on the transom in the bilge. I went through 4 of those crappy things last year. Hopefully I can afford to upgrade all m stuff this year and not have to deal with any more ballast failures.

Fman
01-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Having the pumps that close to the engine compartments exposes them to a lot of heat. Would recommend running the directly off the bag. The aerator pumps have a difficult time draining bags because they do not self prime. Once they loose the prime it is difficult to get them going again. If your bags are not vented properly and you are getting air pockets this will also cause problems. Try stepping on the bag to force water into the pump, usually once you get a prime it will start to drain out. Also might want to check for any debris that could be caught up inside the pump area.

If I ever add pumps again they will be Impeller driven, they self prime and will remove all the water out of the bags. They have been getting really good reviews from '09 and later Supra/Moomba owners. Only downfall to them is they can toast impellers if ran dry. For $100 extra per pump you can get timers for them to eliminate this from happening. They are more expensive but are simple and require no vented loops, and drain and fill out the same port.