PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding Ropes

csuggs
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Does it make sense that a wakeboarding rope with no stretch would be less apt to fly into the back of the boat than a regular ski rope when someone wipes out? Since we added the tower, I've noticed that the handle has become a high velocity projectile. Same rope I used last year, but it was attached to the pylon. There is also some flex in the tower, which could be the culprit. So I'm wondering if I buy a no stretch rope, will it help the situation?

cmtaylor777
06-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Not sure if its the rope. I would be more willing to say its a different problem. I think the rope could have something to add to the spring affect but not the main source. Not sure what else it could be though.
You should definitely get the non stretch rope though. It's a world of difference.

jclevoy
06-28-2010, 12:02 AM
+1 on the non-stretch rope. I have never had a handle come close to getting back to the boat with ours.

KG's Supra24
06-28-2010, 12:17 AM
I've never had one come close either. How far back are you riding? If you are wakeboarding, you def want the non-stretch. It does make a big difference.

Fman
06-28-2010, 01:21 AM
The non-stretch rope will also give you a much better pop off the wake and better cutting. I was surprised at how noticeable the difference was not having any sling/play in the new non-stretch rope.

csuggs
06-28-2010, 07:56 AM
OK - thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to order a new rope! I'll probably do that at the same time I order new boots for my son's Hyperlite board - had a major blowout on one of the boots Saturday morning!

jet
06-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Tower Flex?? There should be ZERO flex. It should have no movement at all. Jet

KG's Supra24
06-28-2010, 09:30 AM
OK - thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to order a new rope! I'll probably do that at the same time I order new boots for my son's Hyperlite board - had a major blowout on one of the boots Saturday morning!

If his boots arent real old take them back to where you bought them and/or contact hyperlite. If their gear breaks they are usually pretty good about getting you fixed up.

jzelt
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Well, I have just experienced this weekend what you have.

We were towing a newbie to get wakeboarding. Very strong individual. He would wreck and said he thought he could save it. Well, he would submerge and hold on until the rope was ripped out of his hand. Normally, I or anyone else just gets rid of the rope on our way down...

Did this several times despite me telling him to just give up on that attempt and save the strength for the next try...

Not sure that a different rope would matter, but it may.

csuggs
06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Tower Flex?? There should be ZERO flex. It should have no movement at all. Jet

Even the original ski pylon has some flex in it, but not as much as my tower. If you watch the pylon with a good slalom skier behind the boat, you can see the flex. I'm thinking about having an aluminum plate welded between the 2 upright sections of tubing to stiffen it a little. Because my tower is custom, they could not have cut a plate until the tower was installed and by then they were in such a hurry that I'm sure it didn't cross their mind. I disagree however with your comment about zero flex - there must be some flex or you risk stressing the fiberglass deck.

jet
06-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Nope..on that one. I have never been on a boat (30 or more) that the tower moved?? And Im a boat whore. lol. Can you guys back me up on this? Zero Flex Towers don't call it Zero Flex because it flexes a little bit, they mean Zero Flex. I think you will find that your rope problem will go away after you replace it with a really nice one. In the past 20 years of boating steady I can only remember this happening when we didn't have great jobs and bought the cheapest ropes we could find, and ran into the same rope snapping problem. Oh..and trust me..there is no play or flexing in my tower. :)

Not trying to come off hard just not believing that one.

JoHNI_T
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I had the handle bend in my hands one time it was shaped like a square lol cant remeber the make straightline i think so not a cheapy,,, dealer said they have never seen it??? I am not a big guy either,, new one under warranty

I agrre the tower should not be flexing,,, well maybe very minor but if you can visualy see it flexing I would ask a expert,, if that thing let loose someone getting hurt real bad.

the rope fly's at the boat because people are not letting go early enough and it flings combined with a cheap stretchy rope but at 60plus feet its hard to believe it goes into the boat I believe you but its hard to picture lol

plus it hurts my hands when it flings out,, timing is key fighting thoose crashes sometimes

bostonboard
06-28-2010, 11:56 PM
had a bit of the same problem this week with new tower/old rope. The handle didnt fly into the boat but it did take the $250 glasses off the face of one of the rear seat passengers. I ordered a new spectra line that night and am expecting it soon. Until then you should be cutting the engine back to neutral as soon as someone goes down to help stop this problem and slowly turning back to pick up the rider after doing so will result in calm waters instead of large rollers rocking you everywhere

Kip
06-29-2010, 04:17 AM
I have had a rope almost hit the back of the boat with a new skier who didn't let go of the rope after going down, but have never had an issue with a non-stretch rope.

I agree with the no flex in the tower. If a rider goes down hard I might see a small vibration in my mirror but that is it.

csuggs
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Well I'm pretty sure that my tower has SOME flex, I will pay closer attention to it this weekend when I am out. I did order a non-flex rope that I should have by then as well. I agree that the main problem comes from one rider I have that hangs on to the rope too long after crashing. I do get out of the throttle as soon as someone ditches so there's no problem there. Oh, and the handle never really came into the boat, it just got the attention of those in the back seat, like it was going to come in!
JET - you apparently know more about towers than do I, so I stand corrected.

Look at the geometry of my tower in the pic below. It's hinged at the front so I can lay it down to put in the garage. It also comes apart at the back where the black knobs are - so you can see how it would have some flex. Not sure of the best way to stiffen it up . . .

BigCity444
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't believe you should be slalom skiing off a tower. The amount of force that you are putting on very thin fiberglass is enough to have the back two plates push down and break something.

Kip
06-29-2010, 12:00 PM
csuggs, I am sure you will really like the no stretch rope.

Is your tower custom made? It really fits your boat well and looks great.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Well for the record I have no-stretch rope and while my crew never has issues, I occasionally get a newbie big guy who does as described above - wont let go and then it pops out of his hands with much tension built up. If released right it can really fly back. I dont know that there is a solution to this other than express to the big guy that it is a safety risk.

About ropes, most rope companies have a couple no-stretch offering. If you can, look at tensile strength. For example Proline has 2000 and 4000lb tensile strength rope. I personally think 2000 is plenty. Also IMHO the 4000 is very hard on my elbows and I get tendanitis easily.

csuggs
06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
I don't believe you should be slalom skiing off a tower. The amount of force that you are putting on very thin fiberglass is enough to have the back two plates push down and break something.

Never slalom from the tower - that's why I still have my pylon. I said you can see the pylon flex a little with a good slalom skier on.

csuggs
06-29-2010, 02:05 PM
csuggs, I am sure you will really like the no stretch rope.

Is your tower custom made? It really fits your boat well and looks great.

Yes Kip, it's a custom tower fit to my boat per my specs on overall height collapsed height. It was built my Marine Tower Systems near Knoxville, TN.