PDA

View Full Version : steering cable replaement

paolaken
07-19-2004, 08:31 PM
my steering is very stiff in my 87 sunsport. i need to replace the cable. my question is, do i replace just the cable or the steering box thats atached to the wheel under the dash? any info would be helpfull. thanks

Salty87
07-20-2004, 05:01 PM
check with skidim. i had to replace the helm unit also as the previous manufacturer is gone or not making them anymore. skidim will know.

paolaken
07-20-2004, 07:39 PM
was it very hard to replace salty? i'm looking at a launch but probably should replace it before i sell her.

Salty87
07-26-2004, 12:06 PM
no, it wasn't hard. it just takes a little time to snake the new one through while you're removing the old one at the same time. it gets hung up every couple of feet so you just have to work with it.

it is hard to line up the steering wheel straight so i gave up on that part.

87 Blue Saltare
08-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Just replaced the whole cable and helm in March on my 87. I got the 19 foot cable from skidim, but it was still a foot shorter than what was in there. It works fine though. Probably going for the helm is the best way.

While you've got the rear seat out and can get to all that stuff, it's a good time to replace the packing in your rudder. Also, pull your rudder out and make sure the shaft isn't bent from power turns (apparently a common issue). Also grease up that bushing (tube) that holds the cable back by the rudder. I also replaced my fuel line from the gas tank while I was back there....

It's not hard to hook it all back together...I read somewhere that a guy had much better and easier steering when he was done. Not so for me...it feels the same. But I know it works and am confident in it all. I also have a drier boat because my rudder seal was leaking significantly. Good luck!

bmXXXboy1488
08-13-2004, 11:30 PM
We had to do this in our 2002 Launch

big improvement but it'll cost you bout 500 $$

good luck

Saltareowner
08-17-2004, 07:50 PM
While your at it think about switching it to a tilt wheel We did it and it really improved the accessability to the drivers seat. It was firly easy to install

Kylake13
08-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks to your advice above, I replaced the steering system in my '87 Sunsport after calling Vince at Skidim. He sent me the 18' cable and helm package; cost $155. It took some time but was easy to replace. I even reinforced the dashboard with half inch treated plywood underneath. Works great and the steering wheel is much easier to turn. Feels like a new boat.

jflock2
09-26-2004, 07:11 PM
I now have the same problem on my 02 SSV. The wheel is progressively getting harder to steer. I guess a cable replacement is in my future. One question - what is Skidim? Is there a website?

02LaunchSSV
09-26-2004, 07:17 PM
It's an online inboard parts store or just down the street if you live near Chapin, S.C.

http://www.skidim.com