PDA

View Full Version : Bow Eye Water Leak

jzelt
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I am experiencing water coming in thru the eye hook on the bow.

It was noticed when going to anchor this weekend as there were 3 of us in the bow and the middle seat cushion was removed to throw the anchor.

A steady stream of water was flowing down the ski locker. When we shifted weight out of the bow so the eye wasn't in the water, the flow immediately stopped.

This explains why we have standing water when we thought it was from other sources. Also comes in when returning to a downed rider or other boats drive by and the wake gets to that point.

What do you recommend for sealant? 4200, 5200, or silicone?

I am going to try to get access to the nuts on the inside, loosen them up and then put sealant in and tighten it down.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Go 5200. Get the quick cure type. 3M makes two types of 5200- 7 day cure and 24 hour cure. Good luck.

haugy
06-28-2010, 12:08 PM
If it's leaking that bad, I'd go ahead and back out the bolts and check the glass for stress cracks or damage. As that is your tow point for the trailer, you want to know if has taken a hit or weakened.

Normally I would say don't unbolt it, because it can create leaks, but you're already there. Check to make sure your hull is intact. A failure while cranking it onto the trailer would be bad. Once you check it, then seal it up with 5200. The eye could have wiggled or moved during use, and just opened up a little spot, or the backing plate may have warped under a load. Sealing them up should handle it.

jzelt
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks for verifying what I thought I would go with.
I don't see stress cracks on the outside, and it is solidly mounted. Not sure why it is leaking or if it always has, just that we noticed it recently on where it is coming in. Since we trailer, we alway pull the plug and drain/vacuum out the standing water if there is any.

Typically, we don't take any water up at that level and so there isn't much in there. The last 2 weeks we have done heavy watersports with newbies and lots of turn-arounds. While I know to do the P turn, that isn't always appropriate if boats are coming by downed riders, so we power turn back, taking on more water than usual (but not over the bow).

I'm not really concerned with structural integerity, as it is just the lower nut that is taking in the water and the upper one isn't. (Upper being the one that would contact the bow stop first). But that gives me something to double check as well while I am in there.

I will be sure to let you know how it turns out (hopefully tonight if it isn't raining).

Okie Boarder
06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree with haugy. Look around on the inside just to be sure there aren't deep cracks or damage. If not, go with the 5200 and you should be good.

jzelt
07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Used 5200 last night. I noticed the nuts were somewhat loose when backing them out and there wasn't much sealant (as much as I would use). It is sealed off now and will find out this weekend. But I expect it to be better than new (which is what I always aim for). Thanks for the input.