PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cutting Out

BeachFarmer
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Greetings:

I have a new 2008 Launch 21 ssv with a 5.7L MFI 340 engine. I purchased the boat new this spring (2010) as it was a carry over. I just did the 20 hour oil change this past weekend.

The problem:

1. At higher rpms, the engine will "cut out" than "surge". For instance, if I'm running at 3700 rpm (no load), the engine periodically cuts out to say 3500 rpms and than a second or two later will surge back to 3700 rpm. This does happen frequently when I'm running the engine at higher rpms.

2. In another instance, I'll have perfect pass system engaged and as I'm pulling someone out of the water, the engine will cut out than surge/rev. This has happened only a 2 times in 20 to 30 pulls.

3. In another situation, I've turned the rudder hard at say 3200 rpms (no load)and the engine has cut out dramatically and than surged/rev.

I've only put 91 octane in with no ethynol. Does this appear to be a fuel filter or fuel pump issue? With only 20 hours on the boat, I've noticed the above issues in the last 5 to 10 hours. Should I be putting in Stabl with every tank? I'll burn through 40 gal in two weeks typically.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...j

BeachFarmer
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Replaced fuel filter solved the problem.