PDA

View Full Version : Mikeys baby is going into the shop...

87SunSportMikeyD
06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Well we are taking the baby into the shop on Thursday.

The owner of nearyby Son Watersports is coming out to our house Wed to ride in the boat and hear the banging/blowback noise we get when the boat is under load or WOT. At WOT the engine sputters until I back it off.

He said he thinks it is a flex plate in the transmission that is causing the noise. They may have to pull the engine. They estimated $300 plus labor.

Anyone with experience with this issue?

I am tempted to have him check out other mechanical things that have been bugging me like needing to be pumped to start. I also need to order a new throttle cable and new electronic ignition kit as our is malfunctioning.

I took my first ride of this season FINALLY behind my buddies SeaRay the other day unweighted - I was able to land my backroll and hs360 and shifty180, halfcabs, etc. One run, just one fall on my first 360 attempt. Tiring as ALL hell.

There is a new cable park in MN with a Sisetec and private boat lake, 10kwakes.com I cant wait to go!

Thanks for reading, here are some pics hehe!

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/WMD2.jpg

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/20090617_0711.JPG

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/Picture_043.jpg

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3486/medium/WM3.jpg

wotan2525
06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Good luck.... I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my engine and it turned out to be timing related.... I struggled with it for a long time before I finally decided that the distributor must have been a tooth off. Had a friend that is much better at engines come out and he got me fixed right up.... let us know what you find out!

Okie Boarder
06-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Keep us posted. Sorry to hear about the trouble, but I'm sure you'll get her all fixed up.

jaywidhalm
06-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear that, but $300 for a boat repair is pretty minor. Good luck...get back on the water ASAP!!

tg0824SSVGG
06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Not to hijaak, but my baby is ALSO in the shop - we have an exhaust manifold gasket
fail -- told them that is what it is, and that we HAVE to have to boat by tomorrow night (this was last week) -- because we're going to Lake Powell ...

They are fixing on warranty (as they should) - but I have to pay the $60 for expedited
shipping on the gasket, because all warranty would cover is ground shipping, 7-10 days
I know they have the part, but they haven't put it in the boat yet, and I am getting
ANXIOUS!

We did the troubleshooting, and told them what it was- but it still took them 2 days
to confirm .. UGH.

mapleleaf
06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
How does this always happen??? I found myself putting my boat together 'til 3 am the night b4 my 8 hr road trip...Seems more with the old boats, but to hear Todd chime in is a little surprising...
Mikey I hope things go well, and you get her back for the 4th...leave the Sea Ray for cruising....they're good at that!

ngavchris
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
What a bummer. If it makes you feel any better that transmission will come out without removing the engine. It only take 15 minutes to pull it. Still have to align it back when going back together. If they quoted $300, I would get it there quick before they change the price. Hope your back on the water quickly.

beast 496
06-30-2010, 12:17 AM
To remove the flexplate more than just the transmission has to be removed. The bell housing, must also be removed. I have done it both ways, engine in and engine out. Either way. $300 is just right. I call that 4 hrs labor. Al

87SunSportMikeyD
06-30-2010, 11:19 AM
I think it is a $300 part PLUS labor. And we are not totally sure that is the issue. Water test should be today (while I am stuck at work - thanks dad).

Woton we WERE and still are having timing issues, it is a possability.....

rollenrock33
07-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Mikey,

I would def. have him check the dwell and the timing before they rip everything apart. I know mine does the same exact thing at WOT. I am thinking of switching to an electronic conversion kit for the distributor. Pretty sure that my problem is the points start to "float" at wide open. Maybe somebody else can chime in here but I would have him look at that before they do anything else. Much easier and cheaper. Hope this helps.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Well he was out yesterday for test. They were able to reproduce the noise no problem. I wanna surf so bad!!! They drove with the engine cover off and he used a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the engine. He said he is sure it is the flex plate. I will have him evaluate the timing too.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the time without boat. Get well soon to your boat and I hope all stays simple with the repairs man. Always a spot on the darkside out here for you. Good luck with all.
dp