PDA

View Full Version : Motor Cover Down/Choking Motor

Brengard
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a 1996 Supra La Brisa....put a new carborator on it last year and it ran perfect. My first time back after the winter, the motor will not keep running with the motor cover down. However, if you leave it proped slightly open with say a 2x4, it will run perfectly fine. Any takers on what could be causing the motor to "sufficate"? Any help would be much appreciated. I have read a few threads...my assumption is an exhaust leak. But wouldnt the air from the boat moving push the exhaust out the vents front to back?? Could the vents be so clogged that no air is being sucked in by the motor?? Thanks for your time.

riveredge
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I guess it's possible that all your vents are clogged with critter nests or something, you'll have to check that out.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
The vent tubing could be rotted out or completely disconnected. Gotta check that one out. Also new blowers are much quieter and push much more air, $20/ea at skidim.com

ngavchris
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
How long will it run before it chokes out? Do you smell or see an exhaust leak? If you put your engine cover down and turn on your blowers do you feel any air coming out of the covers at the rear?
That is very peculiar. Does it make any difference when the blowers are on?

Brengard
07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Will check all this out this weekend....I personally havent messed with, but plan to this weekend. A friend who gets it running for the summer, said that there was heat and exhaust fumes when the cover is lifted. I will check the blowers when I get there...they have locked up before. Thanks for the help.

jzelt
07-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Flame arrestor is clean?

Is it getting too much fuel to air mixture since you said new carb?

Brengard
07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Got it running...one of the exhaust tubes had come loose off the back...you couldnt see it until you took the floor out. Got it clamped back on and everything is good!! Thanks for everyones help!