PDA

View Full Version : Rider or Sunsport?

sydneyACE
07-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Hey everyone! I lurk here all the time, and have been looking for an inexpensive boat to wakeboard behind.

I found a couple that are in my price range (under $3000). Don't laugh. :p

I live in Montana and can't seem to find anything close. I've been looking for an old Saltare or Sunsport that needed work (to keep the initial cost down).

The two that I found both require a long drive but, if the price is right ya know?

Anyways here goes. First is one I found on Craigslist. It says 85 Sunsport, but the support bars on the windshield make me think it's actually a Rider.
Here are some pics to help identify:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/sydneyACE/Supras/Brown1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/sydneyACE/Supras/Brown2.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/sydneyACE/Supras/Brown3.jpg

sydneyACE
07-03-2010, 02:30 AM
The second one (also found on Craigslist) Is supposed to be an 88. They didn't specify which model but, it looks like it says "Rider" right on the side.
More pics:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/sydneyACE/Supras/grey1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/sydneyACE/Supras/grey2.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/sydneyACE/Supras/grey3.jpg

Mani
07-03-2010, 02:43 AM
First one is a rider for sure.

The second one is a Sunsport, but I don't think it's an 88. I thought 86 or 87 was the last year they did windshields like that (same as my 86 Sunsport).

sydneyACE
07-03-2010, 02:53 AM
I know both of these boats are gonna need some work. The grey one needs some MAJOR work. (But the price reflects this in both boats)

What is the primary difference between the Rider and the Sunsport?

Are the years correct on these two?

Will a Rider's wake be pretty much the same as a Sunsport?

From looking on the forum here, it seems that all of the old Supras either came with a Ford 351 or Chevy 454.
The people selling the grey one said the motor is blown (I don't care, I've rebuild quite a few), but they said that it is a Chevy small-block (305 or 350).
I'm assuming they just don't know what they're talking about right?

Are the transmissions the same between the 351 and 454 or are they different?

Is it possible to put a Chevy 350 in a Supra that had a Ford 351 (will the tranny bolt up)?
How about a Chevy 350 in a Supra that had a Chevy 454?

The grey one is missing it's swim platform and prop. Is it hard to find used swim platforms, props?
How much could a guy expect to pay?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to make an informed purchace.

I'm leaning towards the brown one, it's a little more money, but needs less work. I talked to the guy last week but now can't get ahold of him. I hope he didn't sell it! :(
The grey one is kinda my back-up plan in case I don't hear from the guy with the brown one.

Any advice is appreciated.
I'm assuming by default that both boats need the stringers re-done.
Should be a "fun" project for this winter. Hopefully the wood where the motor mounts up is decent so I can get on the lake before re-doing them.

Thanks in advance!
Travis

Mani
07-04-2010, 10:38 AM
You're actually right, the second one could be a rider. Says it clear as day on the side. :o

sydneyACE
07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
That pic you posted looks pretty much the same as the grey/blue one I found.

It's kind-of ironic that both of those boats apear to be being sold as something other than what they actually are lol!

It's also ironic that I really like the smaller grab-rail on the brown one (it looks more modern than the rail on the other one), but I don't like the windshield as much (looks more dated).

Like I said earlier, if the guy with the brown one calls me back, I'm gonna just go for that one. At $2000 obo it's too good of an offer to pass up.

I like the styling of the grey/blue one a little better but, it looks to be in really rough shape. It is missing it's prop, and swim platform. At $1500 dollars though I think it's still a decent deal.

Does anyone know the answers to some of the questions I posted earlier concerning price of a used prop, swim platform, ect?

Thanks for all the help thusfar guys.
Travis

PS I really appreciate the quick replys, but why aren't you guys at the lake? LOL!

brack
07-05-2010, 12:43 AM
If the brown one is still there , i would go for it..... try to find one as complete as you can . First question to me on the other one would be , Why is the prop missing ??

Like people said , check the floors and engine bolts.....I had a couple of soft spots but overall in decent shape......2 years later , ( working on it here and there ) i finally put her in the water this holiday weekend....AND enjoyed it

Things i had to do
(1) new holley carb
(2) new impeller on water pump
(3)new electronic ignition/distributor
(4)plugs / wires /filters
(5) replaced all my hoses
(6) installed a raw water filter
(7)new exhaust risers
........ many other small odds & ends , i e wiring issues

When you do get one , make sure you check / replace your water pump impeller . I wasnt informed about this and mine fell apart on me . Along with this and rust breaking free in my risers , causing blockage in my water flow , i burnt up my exhaust hose ( and had to cut a section of my floor out to replace )

The best thing i found out about my Rider is this forum and the guys on it....Very helpful with knowldge and / or knowing where to send ya to get your answers and or parts that you need....

Chachi
07-05-2010, 03:52 PM
the first one is a Sunsport. It has the original "Sunsport" decal right behind the windshield above the rubrail. The second I believe is a rider

87SunSportMikeyD
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Best of luck. Be ware the stringers above all else. THe first one looks nice but I am guessing everything has been replaced in the interior, like the seats and carpet. This tells me it was likely left outside and stringers could have issues. 2nd one would be nice to see the interior. Very interesting finds!

sydneyACE
07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Mikey thanks for the input.

The Blue/Grey one is in rough shape. The interior is trashed. Stringers will need re-done as well. I would basically just be getting a hull... Which is alright, it's just a really long drive for me to go get it. So... We'll see.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-06-2010, 12:35 PM
From what I have been TOLD, the Rider's deep vee in the bow is not quite as deep. However it's still pretty deep compared to other brands. It's much closer to a SunSport than to a Comp.

sydneyACE
07-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Well, finally got ahold of the guy with the brown one, he says a guy gave him a deposit. So, sounds like that one's sold.

The blue/grey one is a little funny. Can anyone tell me if any of these boats came with a Chevy 350?

I'm also looking at a Saltare. It's a bit more money, but is in good working order. Just needs new interior and floor. Guy said he thinks all the main stringers are good though.

sybrmike
07-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Careful with that Saltare - if it needs a new floor, it's gonna need new stringers. It may feel solid enough, but once the floor in one of these old boats developes soft spots - water is sure to have made it down into the structure which begins the insidious trapped water/saturated foam/rotting wood decay.

How bad is it? How long until something lets loose? How many hundreds of pounds of foam is it lugging around? You'll never know until it's opened up. The PO of my Salt had just put down new ply over the old floor. The mounts were solid enough it probably coulda lasted a season or two. But then again, maybe not??? One of the many reasons I held out for a low low price so I could redo it right. Stringers and floor either take a lot of your time or money.

sydneyACE
07-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.
I'm pretty much assuming that any of these Supras priced under $4000 is going to need a new floor/stringers.

What do you consider a low price on one that needs new floor/stringers/interior?

This seems to be the norm on all these old boats, either that, or they're asking at least $7000 for them.

Personally being a mechanic (and a broke one at that), I would rather pick one up cheap that needs work.

ngavchris
07-09-2010, 02:27 AM
The rider has a deep vee also. The rider name was changed to sunsport. Identical boats with minor changes. Dans' 83' Rider has a much bigger wake than my 97' Sunsport. Actually has a better ride in rough water as well. His rubrail and mine match up to each other sitting in the water up until you get to the windshield. Mine is a little over a foot longer in the playpen. For that reason, they curved the front down so that it is level when the boat is moving forward and you can see in front of you without having to stand up. Good luck in your search.

sydneyACE
10-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Well, I bought the Blue/Grey one in TX. My pops had some time off of work, and went down to get it for me. (What a PITA that turned out to be!) Poor dad...

Anyway, I'll be starting a thread soon with some pics and stuff.
I hope to have it in the water this spring. It needs a TON of work, but I think I can get it to the point where it will be usable by spring.

Okie Boarder
10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Congrats! Definitely get some pics up.

Mani
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Blackntan90
10-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Best of luck to you on your project, but we will need pic's! And, yes my manual that came with my 90 Mariah shows spec's for Chevy 350, 454, and Ford 351 engines. Now about the trans mounting up... it might be a different case depending on the engine it was mated to. My manual does not say, except that 2 different trannys were used.

sydneyACE
10-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm pretty excited to get going on her. I don't have any $ left over after the expenses on the trip home, but there are quite a few things I can work on without any money. Unfortunately with work, I haven't really even had a chance to do anything. The boat is at my Dad's place, cause it wont fit in my garage. I'm gonna go out there this weekend and take some pics and a few other things.

Once I get the pics I will start a new thread. Where should I post it? Pride and Joy?

87SunSportMikeyD
10-19-2010, 09:51 AM
That sounds great. I made my P&J thread like a diary from purchase to present.

sydneyACE
10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, I spent longer trying to fix my truck this weekend than expected, so I didn't get a chance to go spend time with the boat. Hopefully next weekend...