PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problem?

MDVols
07-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Just got my 87 Supra TS6M and it has been starting up fine but the last time on the water the starter seemed like it was dragging. Finally after bout 3 hours it wouldn't start unless it was jumped off with another boat running. I've started it out of the water bout 10 times since but still seems to drag a little i guess it just got hot in the water. I was going to order a new starter on skidim.com but not 100% sure which one to get. It is a PCM 351 Ford W, and the starter is a bottom mount on the driver side. Not sure if that means it is a left or right hand turn on the crank or anything else. I would also like to buy the best one i can get if anyone has any info or a catalog # or diff site it would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

rludtke
07-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Have you load-tested your battery? Too little information to be sure, but your battery could be the problem...

MDVols
07-04-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't know, it's a brand new battery but i guess i could get it tested. I'm just one of those people that want it to be perfect even if I have to spend a little cash.

michael hunter
07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Before you buy a starter do some testing. Start with the battery then the cables [there has been a lot of corrosion inside the cable itself] and then starter.

Supra-in-steamboat
07-04-2010, 10:01 AM
What they said for sure. Bend your cables- they should not crack/crackle when bent. If they are corroded- they don't carry the full cranking amps to the starter. If you have to replace the starter- it is bolt on bolt off simlple and available at Napa, Skidim.com, Overtons.com, etc... but like they said test it first. I just replaced mine with a rebuilt one for $156.00. Good luck.

MDVols
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
So NAPA carries the marine type starters, huh nice to know thanks for the help.