PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Replacement 86 Comp

mike thompson
07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
The REPLACEMENT cable in place, can anyone help me remember the proper hookup to the rudder shaft? I need to know . . .

1. location/positioning of steering shaft (stainless steel on end of cable) to rudder shaft? Do I place on top or below rudder shaft?
2. Should I torque the two lock nuts? If yes, how many in./lbs.?

Your help is appreciated! Should you have a pdf diagram of the that would help.

Thanks,
MT

mapleleaf
07-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Call Discount inboard Marine, and talk to Vince or Richard, Just did mine and those guys were super helpful....Be wary thought if you have I rough point or stiff point in steering you've prolly got a bent rudder shaft, which apparently these boats are prone to under heavy high speed steering.
I know that because after replacing everything my wheel is still really stiff, I guess I'm buying a rudder........

saltare inverts
07-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Maple, I had same issue with my Saltare. Put in new cables better but stiff. I pulled rudder out and could tell were it was bent. I put in a new rudder and it steered so smooth and easy. I kept oversteering like a new teenage driver at first. Afraid i was going to get a BUI.

Sunapee Sunsport
07-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Had issues with my 87 sunsport turned out just to need grease. Anthony at skiers choice can help to identify new parts if you need them. Some parts for steering are NLA so he told me when I need to I will have to upgraede to new system on mine when it is time.

mapleleaf
07-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Maple, I had same issue with my Saltare. Put in new cables better but stiff. I pulled rudder out and could tell were it was bent. I put in a new rudder and it steered so smooth and easy. I kept oversteering like a new teenage driver at first. Afraid i was going to get a BUI.

Can't wait to spend another $400......it's gotta be the rudder.....I believe your quote last year said it steered like a ferrari!!!!!

saltare inverts
07-08-2010, 02:35 PM
It was like a Enzo, so smooth and easy. My new boat is much tougher to turn. I think rudder may be bent on it also. Yes I did grease it.