PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Exhaust and Vapor Lock

jparks
07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I have taken my 2007 Supra to the dealership only to be told nothing is wrong with it, but evertime we take it out it either vapor locks or elbow gasket melts. Can anyone give me advice on what I need to do to fix this boat?

jaywidhalm
07-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I know in 2008 they switched to 2 fuel pumps to fix the vapor locking issue. I would assume they could modify the 2007 the same way.

docdrs
07-05-2010, 08:16 PM
what is an elbow gasket? when does it vapour lock...after you have shut it off after running it? do you lift the hatch or run your blower to lower the engine compartment temp ( i know it's not a perm fix) ......you can wrap/insulate your fuel pump as has been suggested in other posts...or as previous post add a pump close to the fuel tank

jonyb
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
The vaporlocking issue can be fixed with a secondary fuel pump placed inline with the primary one, but closer to the fuel tank. SC or the dealer should cover this with no charge to you.

The elbow you speak of is on the exhaust manifold, and a super-genious thought it would be wise to use plastic fittings on the metal exhaust manifold.

1 of the plastic fittings on my boat was broken when the boat was rigged. Since the dealer didn't water test the boat before I bought it, I found the problem after it sprayed rusty water all over the engine bay. Now the intake manifold is partially rusted and the manifolds are stained. I had to use a propane torch and a pick to get the remaining plastic bits out, but now there are metal elbow fittings on there.

You've just mentioned 2 of the many blunders of the 2007 models.

saltare inverts
07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
So these blundersd are only on 2007 models. I just bought a 2004 and am freaking out. I bought is so I dont have to fix it.

KY Steve
07-06-2010, 08:41 AM
So these blundersd are only on 2007 models. I just bought a 2004 and am freaking out. I bought is so I dont have to fix it.

I have the occasional vapor lock problem on very hot days with my 2006. Havnt put in a second pump, I just open the engine compartment if we stop for more than 10min and run the blower pretty frequently which seems to prevent the issue. A dealer also suggested to turn the key on every so often when stopped because it will help pressurize the system? If you forget to do any of those...a cold splash of water will do the trick.

Yes, its not a permanent fix but Supras are not the only boats this happens too. If anyone has talked with their local SeaTow or Marine Assist they will tell you they consistently get calls on hot days from all types boats that end up just being vapor locked.

Does anyone have a picture of the plastic fittings melted on the elbow? It would help the rest of us maybe identify a problem before it becomes a major one, thanks.

KG's Supra24
07-06-2010, 09:17 AM
This is a newb question but can someone give me the symptoms of vapor lock? I am having a couple issues with my boat and want to make sure this isnt also playing a part.

KY Steve
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
This is a newb question but can someone give me the symptoms of vapor lock? I am having a couple issues with my boat and want to make sure this isnt also playing a part.

After sitting for 15min when hot, my engine will fire but won't stay running.

jonyb
07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I have the occasional vapor lock problem on very hot days with my 2006. Havnt put in a second pump, I just open the engine compartment if we stop for more than 10min and run the blower pretty frequently which seems to prevent the issue. A dealer also suggested to turn the key on every so often when stopped because it will help pressurize the system? If you forget to do any of those...a cold splash of water will do the trick.

Yes, its not a permanent fix but Supras are not the only boats this happens too. If anyone has talked with their local SeaTow or Marine Assist they will tell you they consistently get calls on hot days from all types boats that end up just being vapor locked.

Does anyone have a picture of the plastic fittings melted on the elbow? It would help the rest of us maybe identify a problem before it becomes a major one, thanks.
Yes, it's an Indmar problem. I just think it was a bad idea to mount the fuel pump that way. Steve I always did like you said, leave the hatch open and the blower runnning, I still do that now even though I have the second pump, it just gets sooooo hot in there.

Starts, but immediately dies, then you can continue to crank the boat, but it just acts like it's not getting fuel. It's only after you've been sitting for a little while and try to re-start.

After sitting for 15min when hot, my engine will fire but won't stay running.
I finally learned that when this happens, pour cold water on the fuel pump. I always used water and ice from my melter/cooler on teh boat.

jonyb
07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Found a picture of the broken elbow that came out of my boat.