PDA

View Full Version : Boat will only run if I pump the accelerator!

hurler20
07-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forum and really appreciate anyones input!

I put my boat away last year with about a half tank of gas, I have a 2001 Launch and it was running perfectly.

When I went to start it this year I was not getting gas pressure so I have changed the fuel pump and filter. Now it runs fine when the reverse nob/ neutral is pulled out but once i actually try to put it in gear it will die unless I contantly pump the gas, even once going i must constantly pump the gas or it will die. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be???

I have added gas treatment, octane booster, and water remover without any positive effect?

Please help!!! Thank you!!!

rludtke
07-05-2010, 09:28 PM
My first guess is that it is running on the accelerator pump alone, and no fuel is being metered by the idle or main jets. My thinking is that the fuel you had left has gone bad, which can leave a sticky gum behind. This goo can mess up the carb.

I would order a parts kit and take the carb apart for a good cleaning, and replace the parts with the new kit. You might also have bad gas left in the tank and lines that will need to be rinsed out.

AaronWhitt82
07-06-2010, 06:15 AM
It sounds as if there is an obstruction in the fuel delivery system somewhere....

It could be bad gas/ water in the gas
Make sure the tank vent isn't clogged
Check the anti-siphon valve
You said you replaced the fuel pump... Make sure you have a good wire connection to it.
Check the fuel filters at the float bowls on the carb
Check your float levels & make sure the needle and seat aren't sticking
Your carb might need a rebuild as well

michael hunter
07-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Is it fuel injected or carbureted ? Did you add fuel stabilizer when you winterized it?

04Gravity
07-06-2010, 09:25 AM
My first guess is that it is running on the accelerator pump alone, and no fuel is being metered by the idle or main jets. My thinking is that the fuel you had left has gone bad, which can leave a sticky gum behind. This goo can mess up the carb.

I would order a parts kit and take the carb apart for a good cleaning, and replace the parts with the new kit. You might also have bad gas left in the tank and lines that will need to be rinsed out.

It sounds as if there is an obstruction in the fuel delivery system somewhere....

It could be bad gas/ water in the gas
Make sure the tank vent isn't clogged
Check the anti-siphon valve
You said you replaced the fuel pump... Make sure you have a good wire connection to it.
Check the fuel filters at the float bowls on the carb
Check your float levels & make sure the needle and seat aren't sticking
Your carb might need a rebuild as well

Guys, his is an 01. im guessing its fuel injected.

hurler20
07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
It is fuel injected.... Thank you all for your comments!!!

Hematoma
07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
It is fuel injected.... Thank you all for your comments!!!
You throwing any codes? Sounds like a map sensor might of went south on you, I don't know if it has a mass air sensor but sounds like that also. Really with it being FI it could be several different things. Low fuel pressure ect...... What motor do you have?