PDA

View Full Version : ANother Holley Carb. question....

brack
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
first off , brand new carb ( 750 cfm )....

boat has ran great in the driveway , while ive been getting it ready for the water . First day out was Sat , ran great and ran a tank off gas thru her . second day was last night , ran great in the evening to watch fireworks ( 1/4 of tank ) ......my GF and son took her out today took her out today , she ran fine for about 20 minutes ( avg about 22-2600 rpm ) the sputtered and then stopped,,,,sat for 5 minutes the she cranked up and ran fine for about about 5 minutes , then same problem...I went down to the dock , jumped in and took it for a spin....ran like a top for about 10 minutes @ about 3000 rpms....when i slowed her down , she sputtered and stalled and the process started over with me.......

any clues on what could happen to a brand new carb

rludtke
07-05-2010, 09:22 PM
This sounds simular to an experience I had with a friends boat long ago. The fuel tank vent was plugged, and it would only run until the fuel tank developed a vacuum, then it would quit. It could run longer at low power, but only a few minutes at high power. The quick test is to see how it drives with the fuel tank filler cap off.

The fix, at least what I did to my friends boat, was to blow the vent obstruction back into the tank. Simple, and no cost. This wss after my friend spent thousands on shop bills where the mechanics just sat back and thew parts at it.

brack
07-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the comment about the gas vent......i pulled my tank last month and installed a new line....vents OK

........OK , think i found it , i decided to check my fuel filter and unscrewed the canister and relalized i didnt put a filter back in when i cleaned my tank . That wasnt my problem , The canister was half full of water ......cleaned it out and replaced the filter THEN i hooked a pump up to the tank and drew a gallon of gas thru the pick-up tube to check for water....all seemed ok , no water ....Question is though , how did the water get in there , she ran great for the two previous trips ???

hopefully test it out sometime this week

brack
07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
nice looking huh ???

rludtke
07-07-2010, 12:58 AM
WOW, thats ugly!

michael hunter
07-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Looks like swamp water where did you buy the gas?

brack
07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
..at the nice lil corner store.......nice huh.....anybody have some advice for a fuel / water separator.....with a clear bowl....all the ones with a clear bowl has been for diesel..