PDA

View Full Version : How warm does shaft nut get

foxriverat
07-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Just replaced shaft packing on my 96 comp with the 1/4 inch Gor tex gfo packing. Tightened hand tight. Ran for about 20 min at 3000 rpms. Checked nut getting a drip about every 5 seconds. Nut felt pretty warm. Not enough to burn to the touch. I know with friction it should get warm. Just how warm do they get. If I tighten more to get a slower drip rate. I am worried it might get too hot. It is also 90 degrees out today. Water is pretty warm.

Hematoma
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Just replaced shaft packing on my 96 comp with the 1/4 inch Gor tex gfo packing. Tightened hand tight. Ran for about 20 min at 3000 rpms. Checked nut getting a drip about every 5 seconds. Nut felt pretty warm. Not enough to burn to the touch. I know with friction it should get warm. Just how warm do they get. If I tighten more to get a slower drip rate. I am worried it might get too hot. It is also 90 degrees out today. Water is pretty warm.
They get warm but if it gets hot enough to burn you than thats no good. I let mine drip a little more than normal just for piece of mind lol.

foxriverat
07-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks Hematoma. Even though it says virtually dripless. I think I will take a few extra drips for piece of mind.