PDA

View Full Version : Sta-Bil with Ethanol Treatment?

SZEH
07-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Just curious...anyone using Sta-Bil with ethanol treatment on a regular basis as more of a preventative measure to help guard against any future problems from ethanol?
Just thinking about measures now that may save me $$$ later. I've used it in every boat I've had during winterization, but this ethanol thing is a different animal.

LloydP
07-07-2010, 07:26 AM
I did not realize there was such a thing - until my fuel pump was ruined by ethanol this spring. At that time, my mechanic suggested I use this every time I fill up. Much cheaper than the fuel pump!!

csuggs
07-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I discovered the Marine Sta-bil with ethanol treatment last year and have been using it at every fill up. I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - as the saying goes. It's more expensive than the regular Stabil, but an ounce treats 10 gallons so its' really not too bad.

riveredge
07-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I work at a marina where we put star tron (another ethanol treatment) right into our 3,000 gallon tank that feeds the pump on the gas dock. Keeps it simple, every drop of fuel is treated, and it costs about 3-4 cents a gallon to treat it in such large quantities.

In everything else, I run sta-bil or startron treatment, cheap preventative maintenance with the crappy ethanol fuel.

edgewater1
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Star tron is what is recommended for use with 4 stroke engines...
Sea foam is recommended for use with 2-stroke engines.

Sunapee Sunsport
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I use star tron Starbright along with Lucas Fuel Treatment / Upper Cylinder Lube in every tank. Boat has never run so well since I started doing this.

Okie Boarder
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Why not just use gas without ethanol? ;-)

edgewater1
07-07-2010, 06:58 PM
because the oil companies want to sell more gas, with less gas in it.. u know like watering down fine wiskey

Kip
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I have been using the stabil ethanol treatment all year. I heard that all gas has some ethanol in it now days so better safe than sorry.

SZEH
07-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Okie Boarder...funny you should say that. This weekend I cruised through a marine at the lake we normally hang out at and they had a big banner across the front of the dock that read "Ethanol Free Gas".

Didn't find out what the price at the marina pump was, but it's probably close to break even by the time I buy mid-grade fuel at a station and then add $4 of Sta-bil to it. But then I won't get all the other additives and cleaners Sta-bil adds.

csuggs
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
There is one station near me that advertises ethanol free gas, but it's difficult to get my boat and trailer in there so I just use the sta-bil.

techsledder
07-08-2010, 11:57 AM

That's all fine an dandy until you live in a sheet-hole state that has mandated Ethanol usage in counties surrounding your home.... Thanks Governor Doyle! :mad:

SE Wisconsin you have to drive two counties away to get ethanol free fuels. The Sea-Foam product is all I have been using with what seems to be success. I have yet to have any fuel/engine issues while using that product and any ethanol added gas.