PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Guage Incorrect

Jake
07-26-2004, 05:09 PM
My fuel guage on my 88 ts6m reads less than what is in the tank. However, sometimes it will give the correct reading. Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it?

silvtongdvl
07-27-2004, 10:01 AM
I don't think I have been in a boat where the fuel gauge was correct. Fill your gas tank - record the hours from the hour meter. Use the boat and record fuel used and hours again. Figure out out many gallons you use per hour. Watch your hour meter when the gauge goes to E for fuel remaining.
~S~

87 Blue Saltare
08-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Ha! My gage reads full on F, but is empty on 3/4. I wish I had more info too...I think ground is a big issue in these older gages.

Post if you find out the problem.

Jake
08-30-2004, 11:29 PM
I found the problem. A spring on the fuel sender that keeps the contact point tight against the variable resister had broken. That is why I was getting correct readings some of the time. Now I have the problem of finding a replacement. The 88 comp has a strange hole pattern on the tank. Generic fuel senders will not fit the hole pattern.

washmaster
01-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Any results on a replacement sender that fits. I also have an '88 with highly eratic guage readings. Its only accurate when totally full.

DKJBama92Mariah
02-01-2006, 01:35 AM
A question on a similar topic: anyone know how to remedy a fuel gauge that bounces all over the place with anything but a full tank?

DKJ