PDA

View Full Version : Importance of blowers

Loadup
07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I have my thoughts and think I got to see first hand what happens when you forget to turn them on after fueling up at marina. TWRA is investigating, Check out Chattanoogan.com story yesterday when boat caught fire at harrison bay. Me my wife, son and daughter had just launched our boat I was waiting on my wife to park truck and BOOM I thought someone shot a gun under one of the covered docks and when I turned around I saw back seats, koolers and boat parts flying out of this cruiser at the gas dock. A women went over board so I raced over to assist her, I heard the auto halon system go off and extinguish fire and in no time rescue pepole were there. Minor injuries to lady that went in the water but dang that could have been real bad. I think that incident drove home to start blowers first wait then turn key.

saltare inverts
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Wow. I always do it but still good to get a refresher why I do it.

jzelt
07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Dang. Very fortunate.

"Lt. Clift estimated the spill only involved about 10 gallons of gas."

If they just filled up with fuel, does this guy work for BP or taking lessons from them? I guess most would still be in the tank or burned.

iwakeboard
07-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I just replaced my blower before this past weekend, it hadn't been working (turned out the old one was just seized and works now). I'm really lucky nothing happend up to the replacement being put in.

Ptownkid
07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
removed erroneous post

87SunSportMikeyD
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
After fueling at the dock is pretty much the most important time to run the blowers.

mapleleaf
07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
my blowers run 24/7......until I'm running over 20......

wotan2525
07-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Do you honestly mean 24/7? I've thought it would be nice to keep my blowers running while it was in my driveway just to keep dry air moving through wet ares.... I just suspected that the motors wouldn't last that long. Do you run them out of the water???

foxriverat
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I forgot to turn mine off. And it popped the circuit breaker after about 20 min.

mapleleaf
07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Do you honestly mean 24/7? I've thought it would be nice to keep my blowers running while it was in my driveway just to keep dry air moving through wet ares.... I just suspected that the motors wouldn't last that long. Do you run them out of the water???

Not really, but for $30 I'm not worried about burning one up. I just run them alot....

Chachi
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM
weird that this thread was brought up but, I just found out that my blower switch is locked in the off position. I push super hard (without breaking it) and it doesn't budge. I checked the breakers and they look fine. Does anyone have any thought on this issue?

Chris

mapleleaf
07-09-2010, 07:47 PM
weird that this thread was brought up but, I just found out that my blower switch is locked in the off position. I push super hard (without breaking it) and it doesn't budge. I checked the breakers and they look fine. Does anyone have any thought on this issue?

Chris

Age of boat? Some of mine are broken....

Chachi
07-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Suppose that would be important it is a 1993 Sunsport.

mapleleaf
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Suppose that would be important it is a 1993 Sunsport.

you should prolly just sell the boat to me!!!!

saltare inverts
07-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Now maple, you know your going for a 99 or newer.

mapleleaf
07-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Now maple, you know your going for a 99 or newer.

Price wise I'd love to find a '93-'99, but not a lot to be found forsale......I'll prolly be ready to sell her in the off season, just a few more repairs to get through......
What was this thread about??? Sorry for the jacking!!!!

dickboxers
07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
What is the propper or most common time to use your blows. This is my first boat and i've just been turning then on about a mintue before starting and a minute after already started.

Mani
07-11-2010, 11:22 PM
The way I do it, and I hope I'm doing it right, I run them two to three minutes before starting it, and whenever I'm doing less than 15 miles per hour.

If I fuel up on the lake, I run them as well.

They're cheap, effective prevention if used routinely.

Chachi
07-12-2010, 01:44 AM
So can anyone help me out on my issue? Maple, You'll be the first to know if I sell it!!!!

87SunSportMikeyD
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Personally I use them when I refuel at the dock, or when I have just gotten done wakeboarding and then sat for a bit, like switching riders. The potential for fumes is there..

Chachi are you sure the switch is not just physically stuck? Can you remove it from the dash?

Chachi
07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Mikey,

I took the 4 screws out and removed the whole assembly from the dash just to take a look at it. I am no electrician by any means so I didn't want to start ripping stuff apart. My buddy said he got it to work so I will have to see what he did.

mapleleaf
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Might be a bandaid, but would let you know forsure if it was shot......Spray a little WD40 or Lube in it and see if it free's it up at all.......
Then sell me the boat!!!!!LOL

Okie Boarder
07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I've always followed the process of turning them on when we're almost ready to launch and run them for at least a few minutes. Also, any time the boat is underway under at slow speeds. A lot of times we leave them one while wakeboarding, especially if it is a person that falls a lot.