PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Bimini Top for Tower speaker clearance

kodybyron
07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
OK, Can't believe this one hasn't been addressed...
so we all know with the tower speakers (usually) you are not longer have the clearance for the bimini to fold all the way backwards (normal) do yall have any fixes for this? mine is a 2002 rad a cage. the mounting brackets are mounted to the square tubing (the one that has the supra cut out).

I figure i have 2 options. flipping my tower speakers up on top of the rack..but dont like that idea cause i dont want the rope to hit speakers.

or 2, drill out pop rivets and relocate bimini mounts...has anyone done this mod? if not...prolly will now huh?

87SunSportMikeyD
07-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Are the arms on your bimini adjustable? If not you may be able to buy new adjustable arms from Overtons.

Fman
07-09-2010, 01:08 PM
If you have the cash, my friend had a custom bimini made for about $450 from a local uphosltry shop on his Calabria just for this reason. He also wanted it higher so he could walk under it without slouching over all the time. It turned out really nice, and he able to spec it out to all his needed dimensions.

kodybyron
07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
no adjustable arms....they are pop riveted all together..but i was thinking i could drill out the factory rivets and cut the tubing then assembly and pop rivet the shorter arms back on....i've noticed on the 2002 22ssv this is the only year they mounted it this way. all the other ones are mounted down lower on the bar that curves under the square tubing support....damn idiots!

Fainlts
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I have 03 Supra Launch LTS with rad cage also. I have the same problem. I just remove the Bimini from the pivot points on the tower then expand the Bimini top while reattaching to the tower. I can do it by myself but works much easy with an extra hand. Don't know hwy your other options to relocate the pivot point and shorten the arms would also work but of coarse you would have little less head clearance under the bimini.