PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers - Polk MM651UM ??

adopsahl
07-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I blew the crappy Kenwood speakers that come stock in the Roswell tower setup. I ordered a couple sets of Polk MM651UM to replace them. My question is whether this is overkill or not, since everyone seems to be talking about the Polk db's being installed instead. I know I could have bought the WS 65's, but these are already on the way.

Any thoughts or advice?

Just replaced the sub, since I blew that too, but stuck with the Kenwood model, and installed the WS-420. Still running the 2 Excelon stock AMPs, and the crappy Kenwoods for the inboat speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

cbondurant
07-09-2010, 06:37 PM
The Polk Coax speakers you have on the way would be better suited for in the boat. Coax speakers are designed to sound good at 3-5 feet away from the speaker.

Have you considered any of the the other HLCD brands besides Wetsounds for the tower? I just purchased 4 BulletSpeakers to replace the Kenwoods that came in my tower. I am running a Rockford Fosgate T600-2 to power them. They sound great when wakeboarding.

The Horn Load Compression Driver (HLCD) is the way to go on a tower.
BulletSpeakers was great to work with. They let me purchace the drivers seperatly so that I could keep the Roswell bar.

Good Luck!

adopsahl
07-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Had not heard of HLCD yet...still learning.

Would love to get those speakers, seems to be awesome sound. Unfortunately, I don't have the grand+ earmarked at this point.

Any thoughts on whether these MM coax's are going to work better in the tower or in the boat? Budget doesn't allow the best right now.

Thanks for the info. If I blow the tower again, I will definitely get those.

dshaff24
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I got the mm series on my boat and there not coaxles, They are separates with the tweeter in the grill, The sound clear and i love them, Check my link in my sig and go to the last page you will see

I have the db series 6x9's and They have some nice sounding bass and are also the clarity is awesome on them to for being coaxles'

adopsahl
07-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Just finished the install yesterday and had an installer put in the WS-420. It is a lot better than the old setup. Think I will have to get a 2 channel amp to power the sub and free up an amp just for the tower speakers. Getting more volume out of the tower, but the amp is going into self-protect mode. I think it is because one amp has to run the tower and sub right now.

Anyone have a thought on a two channel amp for the sub? Any recommendations? (jonyb - would love wetsounds all around but it isn't going to happen, so realistic recommendations would be helpful. Thanks all!)
Just looked at HLCD's, as cbondurant recommended, too. I thought you only got 2 speakers for the $500, but you get 4 so I could have filled all the Roswell cans. I wonder if that would have been a better decision? Next boat perhaps.