PDA

View Full Version : help with info on 1990 mariah

SAMMYMAN
07-10-2010, 03:06 AM
i'm rapidly reading everything i can find on the internet about a 1990 open bow mariah and anyone who could help me with a couple things i'd sure appreciate it. i found one in my vicinity and am wondering if the mariah is the deep boat or a shallow one? i've actually looked all over and nobody really comes out and says whether it is or not.... it looks pretty nice in the pictures, and i realize that for a boat this old price can vary greatly if it's in good shape or not, but nada shows a value of 6500 for one in average to good shape and this fella wants 9500 for it with about 500 hours on it. looks to be in pretty fair shape.

but i'd sure appreciate it anybody could give me their opinions on a 90 mariah no matter how basic you might think it is. i used to have a beast, and am thinking the mariah is very similar except this one is 21 foot instead of 20, and the beast had a 454 and this one is a 351.

thanks for any help. could save me a 5 hours drive to see it if it isn't what i'm looking for. i've been lookin for a saltare, but if this is in good shape i'm sure i could live with it very well if it's the deep model

SAMMYMAN
07-10-2010, 03:18 AM
i think i've found my answer.... the mariah is a shallower boat. not as deep as a sunsport or saltare, correct? if that's the case, then i don't think it's what i'm looking for. i'd like the option of being able to take it up to sandusky a time or two a year and doing a little island hopping and if it's the shallow boat i'm not sure it would work out too well for that.

anybody that has one or has any opinions though on whether or not the difference is not enough to really matter i'd enjoy hearing what you have to say.

thanks

Kip
07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I have an 88 Mariah. It is deeper than the comp but not as deep as the sunsport. I have heard that the freeboard on the Mariah is about 6" less than the Sunsport. I would be nervous to take mine to the great lakes. It could be done but on a busy day you would be on constant watch.

We had six adults in our boat this weekend on the reservoir and it was very busy. To cruise around or sit and hang out it was fine. But when we were boarding it was a challenge to not dip the bow when going back to get a downed rider.

Good luck on your search.

mapleleaf
07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
i put my Conbrio in Lake Ontario about 3-4 times a season, and its probably the reason I'm gett'in grey hairs... I have looked at a couple Mariah's in MI where I do most of my boating and they don't look too much deeper. Still a great a boat, but not meant for rougher water IMO. I'd say the SS or Saltare or something closed bow would be the way to go.....

87SunSportMikeyD
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Sammy - you are spot on. Mariah is kinda the in-betweener, deeper than Comp, shallower than SunSport. Keep lookin! Try this search engine http://boat.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/boat.cgi?cat=boa&itm=