PDA

View Full Version : Easy one - '86 Comp ground location?

artmac
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I put the engine back in yesterday in a '86 comp. I know where everything hooks up exact the correct location for the ground to the battery. I know I could bolt it anywhere on the block but I want to put it back in its original location.

I would appreciate if anyone would supply a picture of where it goes or, if I am smart enough to understand, a description of where it goes.

It is a 351 PCM '86 Comp.

Thanks!

Mani
07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I have a 1986 SunSport, but I bet the engine setup is the same for the 351.

If you're looking at the pulleys, mine had it bolted on just to the right of the circulator water pump. It was bolted to a threaded spot on the block that nothing else bolts into. I can't say for certain that it was the factory location, but it seemed right enough.

When I had the rebuild done, we bolted it to the intake manifold, because we changed battery locations, and hence wiring. It is true, you can bolt it on anywhere.

artmac
07-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Mani,

Thanks for the reply. I read your thread on your build on your boat. My boat used to be the exact color combo of your boat. That caught my eye.

I'll look for the threaded hole next to the water pump pulley.

It's been awhile since I pulled the motor and no matter how many pics you take you miss something.

Does this location sound right to the rest of you. I can't remember.

Just trying to go back tothe original location.

rludtke
07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
You can bolt the negative battery cable to any conveniant location on the engine block. By my recalection, Mani is right, there is a threaded hole to the left of the water pump. That is were my cable connects.

Mani
07-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Mani,

Thanks for the reply. I read your thread on your build on your boat. My boat used to be the exact color combo of your boat. That caught my eye.

Great minds think alike ;) . I dig my color combo. I have yet to see it on another older supra. Let's see some pics.

artmac
07-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Mani,

Sorry to possibly disapoint but I have changed the color and lost the stripes in the process.

I will get some pics when I am finished putting it all back together.