PDA

View Full Version : Kicker 6.5" marine/automotive speaker?

Fman
07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know if you can use the automotive 6.5" kicker speakers in place of the stock speakers that came with the boat? My front bow speakers grill is broken and I found a pair on sale at Frys electronics that will fit with no problems but they are for automotive and not marine.

Does this really make a difference between automotive and marine?

Skylar18
07-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Fman,

If your stock speakers are like mine, they are Kenwood speakers and they actually are automotive. You can put in automotive, just be prepared to replace them after a few years because the foam cones will deteriorate.

On another note, I am still struggling with my wake. I used your setup and still can't get it right unless I am going over 24.

Fman
07-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Fman,

If your stock speakers are like mine, they are Kenwood speakers and they actually are automotive. You can put in automotive, just be prepared to replace them after a few years because the foam cones will deteriorate.

On another note, I am still struggling with my wake. I used your setup and still can't get it right unless I am going over 24.

Thanks for the information on the speakers, I think I am going to buy the new Kickers, they are a great price and I dont need anything crazy. The kickers that came with the boat have a very weak grill on them, when kids sit in the bow with the added playpen cushion there feet tend to hit the speakers and break the grill. The new speakers have a much stronger grill setup that I hope will not break as easy.

Now, your wake....

Is your front bag vented? Maybe you are not getting all the weight in the bag which is causing some problems. I know before I vented my bags they would accumulate a substantial amount of air which definitely takes away weight.

You have the same boat as me, I am not sure other than not having enough bow weight why you would not have any success with the same setup I am using. Ran it again on Friday and it was perfect.

Just to confirm...

400 lb center filled
wakeplate 1/4 down
22-22.4 MPH
Rears empty

I did have my 5 of my sons friends in the boat on Friday, who are all football players and are 200+ lbs each. I had to move a few of them around at times to get the wake to clean up. It was even better with them in the boat and the added weight.

Another suggestion, if you are getting port washout fill the port bag about 20% to start along with the center bag. And reverse this if you are getting starbird washout. Before I started just filling the center bag, I would also fill the port side while towing until it cleaned the wake up.

Skylar18
07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks Travis!

I am going out Wednesday with the sole intention of getting my wake right. I can't fill my front bag full because on the 07 it pops up the locker door in front. The one design flaw I hate the most on the boat! I probably get it 80 % full.

Fman
07-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks Travis!

I am going out Wednesday with the sole intention of getting my wake right. I can't fill my front bag full because on the 07 it pops up the locker door in front. The one design flaw I hate the most on the boat! I probably get it 80 % full.

My boat will do the same thing, just make sure all the air is burped out of the bag before filling. Its not too difficult to add the vent line, might be something you want to consider and it will automatically burp all the air out when filling. I will even stand on the bag once its full to burp any reamining air out of the vent line.

After you launch the boat check your front bag, you might be surprised how much air has accumulated in there. When trailering air will actually go into the drain hole on the side of the boat and start filling the bag. Some people will put a cork in the drain hole when trailering to stop this from happening. Try and burp all the air out before you start filling.

I have a feeling you have a lot of air in the front bag which might be why you are not getting a clean wake. I think once you get it figured out you will like it, its so much better not having to fill the rear bags and have the additional weight. The boat even handles a lot better, when I fill all 1900 lbs of weight you can definitely feel it! Hope it works out for you. Wake was plenty big to clear with no problems.