PDA

View Full Version : The Saltare project

Ptownkid
07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
So after missing out on that sweet sunsport in NH that one of our fellow members got the universe threw me a bone.

I stumbled accross another beauty down in NH as well and made the journey down this weekend. Hell of a drive, left at 11:30 pm from just outside of Toronto, arrived at the marina at 9am the next day, left with the boat at about 10:30 am and headed straight back home.

I have lots of plans for this girl, and I'll be documenting the hell out of it. She's a 1992 supra saltare, and it came with a 2008 supra trailer. Here's where it gets crazy...$2900 for the boat, $1700 for the trailer. I thought for sure there would be some major problems...but there's really not, and it runs fine.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Ptownkid/The Saltare project/011resize.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Ptownkid/The Saltare project/010resize.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Ptownkid/The Saltare project/008resize.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/Ptownkid/The Saltare project/007resize.jpg

Ptownkid
07-11-2010, 07:14 PM
haven't had it on the water yet, not worried though. I only got her yesterday morning, grabbed 4 hours of sleep and came up to the cottage this morning. I fully inspected her and the dealer was VERY honest and proved their trustworthiness several times. In fact I asked if they wanted a deposit, to which they said "Well no, you are going to come right?" and they actually turned away 3 people once they pulled it out of storage to send me pictures. One guy wanted to buy it on the spot for the engine alone.

The saltares came with a v8 454 engine.

I am VERY happy about this girl...just imagine what she's going to look like with a new interior, a new paint job, and a tower!!!

MESupra
07-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Excellent, Good things happen to those who wait! Very happy to hear you found such a gem, 24' of pure glass. Sweet trailer as well! What color will she be?

mapleleaf
07-11-2010, 08:54 PM
That's a nice big boat...all fiberglass???? That'd probably be big enough to hold some people livin west of you a bit!!!LOL
Nice work, that price is awesome.....Customs was OK???

DGREEN
07-12-2010, 12:49 AM
You have done well! What a platform to start from and holy sweet trailer!

Ptownkid
07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes, she's all fiberglass. Customs was a breeze as I had researched the process extensively. I walked into the office with an organized binder and was in and out in 15 minutes.

Ptownkid
07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Excellent, Good things happen to those who wait! Very happy to hear you found such a gem, 24' of pure glass. Sweet trailer as well! What color will she be?

I'm leaning towards blue as the main colour right now. Meaning I'll replace the teal with navy blue and the interior will get some navy accents and piping. I'm considering some grey accents as well.

wotan2525
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
What a steal! Is it fuel injected? Some rubbing compound and a good interior guy and you're SET!!

Ptownkid
07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Nope, the fuel injected models started in 1994.

87SunSportMikeyD
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Way to go Ptown!! We will be watching!!!

Ptownkid
07-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks mikey...I'll surely be showing. If documenting my efforts can help another person it'll all be worth it! I feel almost obligated based on my luck in finding a diamond in the rough.

techsledder
07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
That there is an awesome deal! :shock:

sybrmike
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
And I thought I got a steal on my 89 Salt (less than $2k in "running" condition). Of course my foam was saturated, stringers shot, interior irrepairable, and the trailer needed work - but most of the little pieces were there & it still looked, floated, and ran like a boat.

Composite stringers - I'm sooo jealous (especially after finally finishing my new stringers & floor) and what a beaut of a trailer (waiting on mine to get back from the shop - I don't weld).

Congrats on the great deal & good luck getting her cleaned up!

Okie Boarder
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Nice find. It should take a whole lot to get her looking really nice!