PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Issues 2008 24 Gravity Games Edition

SupraTamu
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a 2008 24 Gravity Games Edition boat that I bought new. A couple of weeks ago we were out and in the engine compartment there was a very loud noise. Took it to the shop and they replaced the low pressure fuel pump. Finally got a chance to go out friday and we were heading to aquapalooza when we got over 3000 rpm the engine started chugging, missing like it was starving for fuel. At low rpm it is fine. Well took it back to the dealership and talked with one of the technicians and he said it sounds like it is the high pressure fuel pump. Has anybody else had this issue?

Fman
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I have a 2008 24 Gravity Games Edition boat that I bought new. A couple of weeks ago we were out and in the engine compartment there was a very loud noise. Took it to the shop and they replaced the low pressure fuel pump. Finally got a chance to go out friday and we were heading to aquapalooza when we got over 3000 rpm the engine started chugging, missing like it was starving for fuel. At low rpm it is fine. Well took it back to the dealership and talked with one of the technicians and he said it sounds like it is the high pressure fuel pump. Has anybody else had this issue?

What motor do you have? I have the 340 HP CAT ETX in my '08 22 and just turned 190 hours with no problems like you are mentioning. Infact the motor has never missed a beat. Could you have bad gas possibly? I think it would be pretty unlikely for both fuel pumps to take a dump, but it could happen. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

One other thing, is the boat throwing any trouble codes? possibly going into "limp" mode? how is your temperature? have you been maintaining the boat properly?

I would recommend having them lake test it before you pick it up, so you know its fixed properly.

tg0824SSVGG
07-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I have the same engine/same boat -- nothing like this in 270 hours of use.

Only problem was early on, one of the catalytic sensors failed -- a known problem
on this engine in all makes that use it (Malibu, Axis and MasterCraft also use them).

Also - recently had an exhaust manifold gasket fail, but when they took it apart,
it was clear that it had not been put in straight at the factory.

Todd

SupraTamu
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
It has the 340 engine in it. Gas was not the issue. I only have about 16 hours on it so a little frustrated with that. No codes came on and temperature was fine. They are going to put an air test on the high pressure pump but having them do a lake test is a great idea. I will let you know what they found when I hear from them this week.

SupraTamu
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
FMAN,

Forgot to answer your question I did not check the fuel filter probably should have. At low rpm runs ok so I do not think it is bad gas. Evidently there are two fuel pumps, a low pressure and a high pressure.

Fman
07-13-2010, 12:18 AM
FMAN,

Forgot to answer your question I did not check the fuel filter probably should have. At low rpm runs ok so I do not think it is bad gas. Evidently there are two fuel pumps, a low pressure and a high pressure.

This makes sense, they added a second fuel pump in '08 to eliminate vapor lock they were having problems with. 16 hours for an '08 is very, very low usage, did you have a fuel stabilizer in your fuel tank? Gas can go bad in 2-3 months without a stabilizer, which only will last for a year. I would replace the fuel filter, its a very cheap and easy part to replace yourself. You can pick one up at Autozone or Kragens. Possibly could be plugged up from having the boat not running that much.

jonyb
07-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Does the high pressure pump even work? There was so much heat in the engine bay of mine, it melted the power wire terminal one day. When that happened, the fuel pump obviously quit, but at the time I didn't have a low-pressure pump, so there was no fuel. Sounds like you could be getting enough fuel to run the boat at a low rpm.

Or it could be something internally in the motor.

SupraTamu
07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
I use stabil each time I fill up. It is at the shop so I am sure they will figure it out. I will let you know what they find. I know 16 hours is not much time on it, I bought it new in May of last year. Unfortunately last year did not get much use out of it due to our lake level being so low and no boat ramps were useable. It has been killing me not getting the chance to get out on it. Started dating a girl who has a tige and she had her boat at another lake so used hers. I have finally got all my traveling done and am ready to get some serious use out of it and planning on buying a dry suit and using it year round this year. I could be wrong but because it starts missing at high rpm I do not think it is bad gas but it could be the fuel filter but it could be bad gas. The low pressure fuel pump was replaced because it was making a louder noise than normal.

Fman
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Let us know what they come up with, I thought the low pressure fuel pump was used only to eliminate vapor lock, but I could be mistaken. I am sure they will get it going for you, other than vapor lock issues on pre '08's, the new CAT ETX motors have been performing well.

SupraTamu
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
FMAN,

You were right about the fuel filter, it was filthy. So at low rpm not really an issue for the gas to flow but at high rpm fule had an issue getting through the filter. Due to not using the boat so I now have no choice but to get out and start enjoying it, which I am more than happy to start doing. Going to go ahead and carry an extra fuel filter on the boat just in case, I carry extra belts as well. They are heading out now to the lake to test it to make sure no other issues. They did say they have been experiencing some problems with the fuel pumps due to the ethanol in the gas just thought I would pass that information along in case anybody else experiences a fuel pump issues.

Danny528
08-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Just purchased a 2008 Gravity 24 only 87 hours, and had the same problem, ran great for the first couple of hours and then developed a miss in the engine under power but ran ok at low rpm. It continued to get worse as we headed to the dock and sounded as if several cylinders were dropping out. Took it to the supra dealer to see what is going on with it.

SupraTamu
08-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Danny,

I hope it is nothing too serious and that it is just the fuel filter.

Danny528
08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey SupraTamu, It was the fuel pump and they will be replacing it today. But can you help me understand this warranty. I have read several things at the Supra site and thought this would be cover but the dealer says no. I just purchased this boat a week ago and have not had a chance to even register title and boat. Is this warranty transferable to me, read something about 2 years after being sold??? Is there a time limit on this. Thanks, Danny